1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Severly broken toe! What to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Taterchick, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Taterchick

Taterchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2008
    Western NY
    My son accidentally shut one of my 8-month-old hen's toes in the door to our run an hour ago. Her toe looks like it isn't attached by much. He is sooooo upset and is begging me to save her toe. I cleaned it, put ointment on it, and taped a splint on it. (Part of a popcicle stick) She is inside in a cage now but she just pecked off the splint and bandage and is bleeding a lot again. Is there anything I can do other than splint and bandage her toe?

Please help! [​IMG]

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

You can still try and splint it, but she might peck it off again...

You might actually have to take a trip to the vets because it might get gangrenous and have to come off anyways.

3. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    You can find a good bandaging material at tractor supply or at a feed store, the brand is co-flex. Its a rubbery gauze that only sticks to itself. It comes in all sorts of colors and can be cut to the right size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by