Sevin Dust and Chicken Mites

eyl22

In the Brooder
May 6, 2020
Hello! I have an infestation of mites and I wasn’t sure if I can use Sevin dust on them and the eggs still remain edible is the breath or ingest it? I appreciate any advice! Thank you

I use seven dust. Works fine. I also dust the coop, nest boxes and thier
dust bath areas with it. Haven't killed a chicken yet. Periodically I also use ivermectin pour on. I put it in a dropper and use 2 ir 3 drops for little chickens and 3 to 5 drops on big chickens. I also use it in a sprayer for leg mites. I put just a few drops in a small 4 oz bottle with water to spray thier feet.

Oh..I forgot, I basically powder thier butts, under the wings and work the powder into the feathers. Usually the mites favorite spot is the vent and fluffy feathers under the vent. I have found them under the roosters manes to, so u generally powder them there to. The ivermectin I oart the feathers and put the drops directly on the skin on the middle if the back,

Because carbaryl is not approved for use on chickens in the USA, there, no official egg withdrawal time, except 'forever'!
Use permethrin instead. The spray concentrate is very inexpensive and does a good job.
Spinosad is the extremely expensive approved alternative; use permethrin!
Mary

Sevin and frontline if you want them gone fast and for good. Permethrin is still considered a carcinogen so it’s not like it’s some sort of harmless chemical and it’s lost some its effectiveness because it’s been way overused.

Any insecticide will work, as long as you don't care about what's in those eggs. Frontline is not approved for any livestock species, not only chickens!
I'd be horrified to have commercial producers playing fast and loose with the guidelines for safe food production, and am not interested in doing the same at home. If there's a good product that's approved, it only makes sense to use it first!
Mary

I’m well aware of the risks of everything I use. I’m just saying everyone runs around saying permethrin is safe when technically it is not it’s just “approved”. There’s a difference.

Back
Top Bottom