SEVIN DUST for mites

It can be hard enough to get rid of mites even using Sevin or other chemicals, DE will do nothing to clear up an infestation and the birds will continue to suffer for it. Sometimes you just have to use something effective and take care of the problem.
Absolutely agree. It's always best to use something that works, chemical or not, before those little blood suckers suck all the blood out of one's chickens.

I went to the feed store yesterday to ask about mite cures. They tried to sell me DE. I have tried that and nothing. He said mites were just like fleas and you would need to treat every 10 days for a month. He also said to completely clean out the coop with bleach let it dry and then cover the coop and run in DE. Its not effective after its been wet, so if it rains add more once its dry in your run. Add DE in your dust bath. I have done this! But just nooded my head. I then went to Walmart for Sevin 5. The girls and the coop and the run got a light powdering of it. Guess what, not one mite found today.. I will retreat at day 10 and watch health closer to make sure I didn't kill my girls with this harsh chemical. I'm hoping I did the right thing but maybe I'm just over thinking this just like everything else.
idunno.gif

Don't worry, your birds will be fine and will thank you by laying eggs.

It can be hard enough to get rid of mites even using Sevin or other chemicals, DE will do nothing to clear up an infestation and the birds will continue to suffer for it.  Sometimes you just have to use something effective and take care of the problem.

So then what do you do? I bought liquid sevin to spray on boards after I clean the coop, then DE to dust everywhere, then new shavings to lay down. I used garden/poultry dust to dust my birds pits and body and vents... What else can I do to get rid of the red mites???

So then what do you do? I bought liquid sevin to spray on boards after I clean the coop, then DE to dust everywhere, then new shavings to lay down. I used garden/poultry dust to dust my birds pits and body and vents... What else can I do to get rid of the red mites???
You are on the right track. By stripping and spraying the coop with Sevin and dusting the birds with Sevin or Poultry Dust you should be able to clear it up as long as you re-treat every 7 to 10 days until you stop seeing bugs. I would also add the garden/poultry dust to the bedding instead of DE. What I was getting at was that DE is ineffective at clearing up an infestation, the products you are using should take care of it.

Then what does DE do? It's a preventative right? So it should help in the long run not to have them return?

I used some liquid sevin I received from a coworker. Since the liquid is not airborne, in the since of the sevin dust powder, is it dangerous for their respiratory system?

I've already relocated the birds and sprayed their coops down, I'm going to repeat once a week for 2 more weeks. I also bathed them in hot water, then shampooed them with dog shampoo, I did this once a few years ag and it worked great, I just shampooed them once a week for 3 weeks to kill the mites then the eggs.

I guess the main question I have, Do you think the liquid form is better than the powder for cleaning the coop?

I already have my stance, I'm just wondering about everyone else's opinion. Since I shampooed them I won't be using their eggs for consumption for a good two months, but it's a price I'll pay to keep my hens and get rid of those dirty ole mites.

BTW anyone wanting an organic way to completely rid your coop of mites is out of luck, unless burning down the coop is an option :p

I do like the Sevin spray for the coop better then powder since to me it seems easier to get it really well into all the nooks and crannies where the bugs like to hide. I've never used it on the birds and I keep them out of the coop until it's dry.

I do like the Sevin spray for the coop better then powder since to me it seems easier to get it really well into all the nooks and crannies where the bugs like to hide. I've never used it on the birds and I keep them out of the coop until it's dry.

Same here, I try to keep them out of there living quarters for at least 3 days after I spray

I would be carefull with using DE.
DE will kill bees just like any other powder designed to kill insects. If the bees get in it, it will stick to them like pollen and be used in the hive with the pollen and kill the bees that are exposed to it.

Back
Top Bottom