Sevin Dust on your chickens?

I have honeybees so Sevin is not allowed in the yard. Dealing with mites is more difficult, but I would rather see my hives survive.

I am trying to see if one can breed for mite resistance. I have a small number that get them repeatedly and others that never get them.

Keesmom that sounds interesting. Good luck with your research. I did find a spray for the coop, and also one to use on the birds. The one for the chickens is made with garlic juice, and one of several essential oils. The spray for the coop is just cooking oil, water, and dish soap.

In case anyone is interested there have been studies done on carbaryl/sevin. The results are not good. I know a lot of people with chickens swear by using this stuff on mites. Just because you don't see something happening doesn't mean that it's good to use. Here is an article about tests that were done and the results. http://www.healthyworld.org/sevin.html Also, if you just read the label there are warnings on there. If you put the stuff in your chicken coop the chickens are walking around on it, laying in it. It IS absorbed into the chicken. Therefore, it would be in the eggs of the chicken. You are eating the eggs..This pesticide has been found "over time" to cause kidney problems, behavioral, and neurological problems. Effects on immune systems, and reproduction problems. There ARE ALTERNATIVES.

We've had chickens now for about 6 years and have never seen mites/fleas/lice until this year. Previously we have just used de in their nest boxes and the area's they dust bath in. We broke down and used sevin. Hopefully we go another 6 or more years before having to use it again. I hate the idea of killing beneficial insects, even if it doesn't hurt the chickens.

Permethrin dust works very well and is actually approved for use in poultry. I prefer it to carbaryl for that reason. I don't want to use pesticides either, but have had birds die because of mites, and don't want to see that ever again! I use Ivermectin on the birds; also not approved for use in chickens, but works great and is safer for me, rather than dusting the birds. I apply permethrin to the coop under the bedding when it's cleaned out. I have bee hives here and they do fine; the permethrin is far away and never outside. Mary

Are the eggs safe to eat after using Sevin Dust 5%? This is our first experience with a lice infestation, and they are 2 yrs old..
Looking at all the postings I'm guessing we've been pretty lucky.
Thanks for all info or help.

Are the eggs safe to eat after using Sevin Dust 5%? This is our first experience with a lice infestation, and they are 2 yrs old..
Looking at all the postings I'm guessing we've been pretty lucky.
Thanks for all info or help.
, Permethrin dust is a better choice for lice, IMO.

Carbaryl is no longer approved for chickens, so nobody will tell you it's considered safe. It was used for many years, though, and we all seem to have survived! Mary
Oh, plenty of folks will still say it's safe.......I've never liked the stuff tho.

Back
Top Bottom