Sex and genders? Anybody??? They are all 3 weeks today

chicken86

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 30, 2013

Chick 1 Larger black one, I know it's a male but breed?
Chick 2 smaller black I'm not 100% on gender it's very timid and sketchy compared to other two
Chick 3 white one hoping its a hen as we like it's coloring and its the
friendliest out of the 3

Last edited:
I am going to guess either black giants or black Australorps on the 2 black ones. Both might be little roosters but still little early to tell.
And the one turning red is looks like a sex link male.

I am going to guess either black giants or black Australorps on the 2 black ones. Both might be little roosters but still little early to tell.
And the one turning red is looks like a sex link male.

Look at the bottoms of their feet. Yellow on the bottom = Jersey Giant, white on the bottom = black Australorp.

Your red and white bird is a cockerel, sorry. But I don't think he's a Red Sex Link--too much red on him.

Begin rant--a cockerel that's turning red is never, ever, ever a Red Sex Link cockerel. Red Sex Link cockerels are WHITE. That's the sex-linked part. The females are red, and the males are white, sometimes with red shoulders. That's why they're bred the way they are, so you can tell the sex at hatch. I've seen a LOT of people say that red chicks are RSL cockerels on here recently, and it's never, ever true that a red bird is a RSL cockerel! --end rant
tongue.png

Last edited:
What gen
Look at the bottoms of their feet. Yellow on the bottom = Jersey Giant, white on the bottom = black Australorp.

Your red and white bird is a cockerel, sorry. But I don't think he's a Red Sex Link--too much red on him.

Begin rant--a cockerel that's turning red is never, ever, ever a Red Sex Link cockerel. Red Sex Link cockerels are WHITE. That's the sex-linked part. The females are red, and the males are white, sometimes with red shoulders. That's why they're bred the way they are, so you can tell the sex at hatch. I've seen a LOT of people say that red chicks are RSL cockerels on here recently, and it's never, ever true that a red bird is a RSL cockerel! --end rant :p

What gender do you think the black ones are? Would it be hard to tell if they are jersey giants at 3 weeks due to their size???

What gen
What gender do you think the black ones are? Would it be hard to tell if they are jersey giants at 3 weeks due to their size???

Your red and white bird is a cockerel, sorry.
Still to young to tell gender give it a few more weeks we might start seeing combs.

Last edited:
Ok so only 4 days older than the previous photos and they've changed heaps already! This black chick in the photo is different to the other 2 it's very skiddish and soft whereas the other 2 seem confident and more male dominant. The black ones are definitley Australorp.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom