Sex? Breed?

crc310

Songster
Feb 25, 2013
Michigan
I am interested in adopting this chick off Craigslist but I cannot have a roo. Any idea on sex or breed? Thanks!
[/IMG]

Isn't that a plymouth rock? Still learning myself.
I don't know if it applies to all chicks, but i check the wing feathers
to see if one section is shorter. If they are its supposed to be female.

Lots of opinions on how to sex a chicken as many as there are breeds of chickens it seems.

I haven't seen it yet (Im afraid I will fall in love and it is not in a good home right now). I spoke to the father, who doesn't know the first thing about chickens. I am just starting out myself, I don't even have any yet! I have been holding off getting any so I can adopt unwanted ones being discarded after they are no longer fun as Easter toys! Hoping someone with some expertise can help:D

Isn't that a plymouth rock? Still learning myself.
I don't know if it applies to all chicks, but i check the wing feathers
to see if one section is shorter. If they are its supposed to be female.

Lots of opinions on how to sex a chicken as many as there are breeds of chickens it seems.

Usually it is hard to feather sex them after they are a day old in my experience. You could always adopt it and if it crows I am sure there is a feed store that will take him and find him a good home/farm. My local feed store will take in roos or hens and re-home them for free to good homes that can take them.

I don't know how easy it will be to find a rooster a forever home (one that won't eat him). It would be my first chicken and it would break heart if I had to give it up:( I told him to call me in a week if he hasn't found it a home, maybe I can look at it then.

I called the man this morning and he said his friend has a small farm and will take him today:) So glad he got a good home!

Back
Top Bottom