Sexing by dot on head

Cheycanugget

In the Brooder
May 27, 2023
I know a few breeds sex by dot on head like cream legbar and barred. Can other breeds be seed this way to? I have sme mottled orpington and some have white dot and some don't. Thoughts?

I know a few breeds sex by dot on head like cream legbar and barred. Can other breeds be seed this way to? I have sme mottled orpington and some have white dot and some don't. Thoughts?
When the dot is caused by the barring gene, it generally works for sexing.

Mottled orpingtons would not have the barring gene, so should not be sexable by whether they have the dot or not.

If you want to be sure, you can check for yourself. Keep track of which ones had dots or no dots, and see which ones grow up to be males and which grow up to be females. Legbands can work well: one color for chicks with a dot, a different color for chicks with no dot. Or put legbands on just one group, and make a note of which group it was. (You will have to replace the legbands with larger ones as the chicks grow, but once you are sure of which are males vs. females you can take the bands off again because you have your answer.)

If you already identify chicks with legbands or any other method (some people do), you just need to make a list of which ones have dots and which do not.

When the dot is caused by the barring gene, it generally works for sexing.

Mottled orpingtons would not have the barring gene, so should not be sexable by whether they have the dot or not.

If you want to be sure, you can check for yourself. Keep track of which ones had dots or no dots, and see which ones grow up to be males and which grow up to be females. Legbands can work well: one color for chicks with a dot, a different color for chicks with no dot. Or put legbands on just one group, and make a note of which group it was. (You will have to replace the legbands with larger ones as the chicks grow, but once you are sure of which are males vs. females you can take the bands off again because you have your answer.)

If you already identify chicks with legbands or any other method (some people do), you just need to make a list of which ones have dots and which do not.
Okay cool thanks for this info I may give it a try!

Back
Top Bottom