Sex ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rooster61, Mar 28, 2018.

1. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    Yes, looks like it to me.

Rooster61 likes this.
  2. Rooster61

Rooster61 Songster

Mar 25, 2011
    Michigan
    I guess that would explain why he is so protective of the Khaki when I let the baby chicks and them out together. He was chasing them away every time they came close.

cheezenkwackers and blayt90 like this.
  3. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    Can’t tell what sound is coming from where but you have at least one female and what sounds like one male.

4. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois

How old are they when that feather appears? Is that a general thing with all breeds of ducks? I got three ducks. I know for sure one quacks but not all the time.

CayugaJana likes this.
  5. MinervaELS

MinervaELS Songster

Oct 8, 2017
    I have nothing useful to add, but when I saw the title of the thread in the sidebar I almost snorted soda out of my nose. Sex ducks... :lau That "-ing" is important! :gig

They are both really cute though. I especially like that khaki! :love

Rooster61 and CayugaJana like this.
  6. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    Those feathers appear around a month old. The person who told me about it said it works for all “laced” breeds. I am not positive what that means but I am guessing that it applies to breeds where the females have two-toned feathers like Mallards, Rouens, and Khakis. It has been 100% correct for the last 9 Khaki and Khaki/Appleyard crosses I have raised.

CayugaJana likes this.
  7. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    My two khakis were a special order that the peope decided they didn' want. They are suppose to be a boy and a girl and were sexed(supposedly). The boy was marked with green on his head(has come off now) Per this picture they would both be girls at this point. I know I have one that quacks. It's every now and then and I never know which one(I gavea Peking too). They make lots of noise when I remove one, but no quacks. No quacks when I pick them up either.

I was looking for a curled feather too, not sure how old they are when that happens.

CayugaJana likes this.
  8. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    No, that's just healthy sheen, not green feathers...

Your Khaki is a female, her voice is starting to 'crack'...

Still way early, 6-8 weeks is when voice sexing is reliable, sometimes all the way to 8 weeks to be certain for boys...

Nope, that has nothing to do with gender... has to do with that color pattern... my grey Call Crash had that as a juvenile and still has it now and she is 3 years old and has brooded 2-3 times each year, so she is definitely a female, lol...

Not until they're a few months old and they molt into their adult feathers will drakes get their drake curls... voice will tell you way before that time...

http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/artquacks.htm

ViolinPlayer123 and CayugaJana like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: