Sex link, auto sex, heritage….I want to understand!

And these standards are available for purchase? Online?

What is the organizing body that publishes the standard? Or is it different by show?

Thanks
Amazon might have it, Murray McMurray Hatchery should still be selling it along with other hatcheries. Expect to be paying $80-100 for the book, APA's Standard of Perfection. It's a pretty big book too.

It's the American Poultry Association (APA) and all official shows are judging according to it (Standard of Perfection).

So, things I thought I knew.

What happens if you cross a sex linked male with the same breed, different breed, 2nd generation hen? Do they even keep them to breed?

Is autosexing strictly by feather color? Or is this where the fabled wing sexing comes into play?

Is there pedigree (like ACC) for heritage birds?

Is SOP an actual, mesurable metric or just an arbitrary judgement?

Not expecting answers, but I find these questions interesting. Hence the fact I’d love to find an article one day.

Thanks.
If you cross sex links together they will make non-sex linked chicks. I don't want to get into color genetics at this point other than to acknowledge that is how the first generation sex links are created and it's why it won't work when crossing sex links together. In black sex links, the genes for barring and often the genes for silver and gold are at play. With red sex links, the genes for silver and gold are at play. Once those genes are mixed up that's pretty much it unless you breed them back to the original color genetics, which would take a few generations.

Autosex chicks are sexed by down color. The males looks different from the females at birth. Feather sexing is entirely different, but it also must be bred for and won't work in succeeding generations, only in the first cross. The only variety I know that is bred for feather sexing is Amberlinks.

There is no pedigree for chickens. When they are shown they must match the descriptions of the Poultry Standard for whatever country they're being judged in. But there are famous lines of certain breeds that are going to cost more because they are known to be high quality. A line is simply a members of a breed that has been worked on for years by a particular breeder. But having a certain line of Rhode Island reds means nothing at shows, and it won't even be considered. What counts is adherence to the standards.

The standards in the SOP are measurable to a certain extent, yes. Weight, shape, correct coloring, comb type, and more.

And these standards are available for purchase? Online?

What is the organizing body that publishes the standard? Or is it different by show?

Thanks
It is available for $60 on the American Poultry Association website but I don’t know if they have any in print. They are in the process of publishing a new edition. When I clicked on it it let me so maybe that means it is available?
The American Poultry Association publishes it. Also, there is the ABA Standard published by the American Bantam Association.

Back
Top Bottom