Sex link, auto sex, heritage….I want to understand!

Sex links are one generational crosses of different breeds that together will produced sex linked offspring. There are several kinds, but the usual are red sex links and black sex links. Red sex link female chicks are red, the males near to white. Black sex link female chicks are black with maybe some brown at the face, and the male chicks will be black with white spots on the back of the head. You cannot cross sex links together and expect sex linked chicks. Only works in the first generation, as I wrote above.

Autosexing breeds are purebreds and the chicks can be sexed at birth through multiple generations if they are bred right. Cream Legbars and Bielefelders are examples.

Heritage can mean a lot of things, but generally they are long established pure breeds that have a history in the country where they are kept. For instance, Rhode Island reds, an American breed, but also Leghorns and Cochins, which originated elsewhere but have been kept in this country for a long time.

Sex links are one generational crosses of different breeds that together will produced sex linked offspring. There are several kinds, but the usual are red sex links and black sex links. Red sex link female chicks are red, the males near to white. Black sex link female chicks are black with maybe some brown at the face, and the male chicks will be black with white spots on the back of the head. You cannot cross sex links together and expect sex linked chicks. Only works in the first generation, as I wrote above.

Autosexing breeds are purebreds and the chicks can be sexed at birth through multiple generations if they are bred right. Cream Legbars and Bielefelders are examples.

Heritage can mean a lot of things, but generally they are long established pure breeds that have a history in the country where they are kept. For instance, Rhode Island reds, an American breed, but also Leghorns and Cochins, which originated elsewhere but have been kept in this country for a long time.
So, things I thought I knew.

What happens if you cross a sex linked male with the same breed, different breed, 2nd generation hen? Do they even keep them to breed?

Is autosexing strictly by feather color? Or is this where the fabled wing sexing comes into play?

Is there pedigree (like ACC) for heritage birds?

Is SOP an actual, mesurable metric or just an arbitrary judgement?

Not expecting answers, but I find these questions interesting. Hence the fact I’d love to find an article one day.

Thanks.

Sex Link: A hybrid chicken that the gender is easily determined by their colors or patterns as chicks. Example: A Red Sex Link female chick will be red and a Red Sex Link male chick will be yellow.

Auto Sex: A purebred chicken that the gender is easily determined by their colors or patterns as chicks. Example: A Silver Duckwing Old English Game female chick will have a thick bar leaving the eye, going to and past the ear. A Silver Duckwing Old English Game male chick will have a thin bar leaving the eye, going to the ear and not past.

Heritage: A purebred chicken breed that has been recognized by the APA since before the mid 20th century. Example: For an easy tell, I always look at the chicken breeds that has always been around and might even be seen in the old movies. Orpingtons and Plymouth Rocks are amongst those breeds.

Hopefully this helps you understand. :)

Following. Because I think I know what I know.

But, I know nothing.

Also, perfection of standard.
The Standard of Perfection, that is a standard that show birds must meet in APA or ABA shows. For an example of this, let's take an American (not Hatchery or English) Buff Orpington hen. In order to win in one of these shows, she must be as close as possible to this written up Standard of Perfection. Her comb must be a certain way, along with her feathers' color, shape, and pattern, her body shape and wings, her skin, beak, and eyes, her feet must be the right color and type too. If the Buff Orpington doesn't match up, then she won't win (and something as simple as leakage could disqualify her). They actually have a book called the Standard of Perfection and if you're ever interested in showing, I suggest getting it so you know what type of bird you're breeding for.

The Standard of Perfection, that is a standard that show birds must meet in APA or ABA shows. For an example of this, let's take an American (not Hatchery or English) Buff Orpington hen. In order to win in one of these shows, she must be as close as possible to this written up Standard of Perfection. Her comb must be a certain way, along with her feathers' color, shape, and pattern, her body shape and wings, her skin, beak, and eyes, her feet must be the right color and type too. If the Buff Orpington doesn't match up, then she won't win (and something as simple as leakage could disqualify her). They actually have a book called the Standard of Perfection and if you're ever interested in showing, I suggest getting it so you know what type of bird you're breeding for.
And these standards are available for purchase? Online?

What is the organizing body that publishes the standard? Or is it different by show?

Thanks

What happens if you cross a sex linked male with the same breed, different breed, 2nd generation hen? Do they even keep them to breed?
You'll get something different from what you bred from. You can breed them still though. You may have some genetics from the sex link's parent stock show up in their offspring.
Is autosexing strictly by feather color? Or is this where the fabled wing sexing comes into play?
The wing sexing is a method that doesn't depend on breed. Some say it's not an accurate way of sexing chicks either.
Is there pedigree (like ACC) for heritage birds?
Like papers? Not really, though if you buy your chickens from a breeder that has won shows with either the bird you're getting or their parent stock, and they can prove it, then that might be the closest you can get.
Is SOP an actual, mesurable metric or just an arbitrary judgement?
See my post here:

Back
Top Bottom