Sex-link chick question

Paganbird

CrescentWood Farm
11 Years
Apr 25, 2009
Western Pa
I ordered a Brown Layer Assortment from Meyers.
"Layer" is indicative of pullets - or so one would think. Well, they sent me 10 Black Stars. One had a white spot (little roo) so I called & they refunded me for the mistake. I re-homed the little guy and thought all was well. Now I have another of them who is really behind on the feathering. Ugly little thing.
The ugly one, though, doesn't have the white spot. So...
can you get a sex-link roo from a chick who doesn't have a spot on it's head?

"Ugly" has brown/gold barring on what little feathers it has - mostly on the wings. No tail feathers yet.
The other 2 sex-links that I kept are feathering out well... mostly black.
These chicks are 3 weeks old.
I don't like the sex-links much. I gave away 7 of them. I kept three because my husband thought they looked "cute." I prefer BAs.

Sex links make awesome layers. The males don't have any gold in them. As far as I know, the males will look exactly like the mother that created them which in black sex links is a barred plymouth rock.

Edited to say: My personal favorite of the sex links is cinnamon queens which is a type of red sex link.
Edited to correct the gender of the parent stock.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info!
I also was sent a red/buff sex link chick. I have no idea what she is, but I'm going to keep her. I guess I'll have to wait until she gets her "big girl feathers" to tell what she is.
She was a buff chick with a yellow head. Now she's getting in some feathers that are roughly NHRed colored. The tips of ALL of her feathers are white and she has some dark brown/red on her wing feathers.
She was my "extra" chick.
I'm just glad that Ugly (DH named her You-glee) isn't a roo!

The red one sounds like a red sex link or a cinnamon queen (very close to the same thing) The females will have cinnamon colored feathers with white under feathering and the males will be solid white with the occasional spot of cinnamon somewhere on them. All the sex links are awesome layers of beautiful brown eggs with very good size.

My 3 BSLs are just plain goofy. The RSL chick is friendly and likes to be held.
When I was younger, my dad had Golden Comets. We had a farm & we had a lot of chickens. I liked the chickens, but they all looked the same. I had about 3 that were friendly, had names, etc.
So when I had a chance to get chickens of my own, I wanted a variety. We've had BA, SLW, NH & RI Reds, EE, & Silkies.
I ordered the brown layer asst to get a little more variety. I got: 10 barred rocks, 10 BSL, 2 buff orps, 2 speckled sussex, a white rock, and a RSL.
I gave my neighbor 7 BSL & 6 BR because I have 24 eggs in the 'bator due next week. 10 of the eggs are "surprise" eggs from a friend at work. 11 are silkies shipped from a BYCer. 2 are EE from the same person. 1 is an opal pea egg.
That ought to be enough variety for awhile!
Wish me luck on my upcoming hatch & thank you all for the information on sex links.
fl.gif

I have some 12 week old BSL's and the roo's look like Barred Rocks which was their mother, their dad was a Rhode Island Red. All my roo's had spots on their heads as chicks.

Yes you are correct. I got it backwards but either way the roos still look like barred rocks. In black sex links the mother is barred rock and the father is rhode island red. The females are solid black with gold collars/chest and the males look just like barred plymouth rocks. Sorry for the confusion.

Back
Top Bottom