Sex- linked Information

If you read the very first post in this thread you will see that the parents have to be set up right genetically for the chicks to be feather sexed or color sexed. Also, sex linked chicks cannot be used to make sex links. It’s the specific combination of genes that makes the chicks sex links and by them being sex links it guarantees that they cannot be used to make sex links.

I did not write that really well but the simple answer is no, you cannot make sex links by breeding sex links.

There are a lot of different colors/breeds you can breed to make sex links. Where did you get yours? Do you know the parentage? What breeds/colors were used to make your sex links. Some of those combinations could involve a gene that can turn a bird white but the white can skip a generation. That white gene is the recessive white. It’s a logical explanation of why you got some yellow chicks but cannot be used to sex the chicks.

If your rooster is a black sex link he has one barred gene and one not barred gene. He will randomly pass those genes down to his offspring, males and females. A black sex link hen has no barred genes to pass down. In the generation you are talking about barring has nothing to do with sex. Either the cockerels or the pullets could be barred. Either the cockerels or the pullets could be not barred.

The only way you are going to know if those chicks are male or female is to grow them out.

If you read the very first post in this thread you will see that the parents have to be set up right genetically for the chicks to be feather sexed or color sexed. Also, sex linked chicks cannot be used to make sex links. It’s the specific combination of genes that makes the chicks sex links and by them being sex links it guarantees that they cannot be used to make sex links.

I did not write that really well but the simple answer is no, you cannot make sex links by breeding sex links.

There are a lot of different colors/breeds you can breed to make sex links. Where did you get yours? Do you know the parentage? What breeds/colors were used to make your sex links. Some of those combinations could involve a gene that can turn a bird white but the white can skip a generation. That white gene is the recessive white. It’s a logical explanation of why you got some yellow chicks but cannot be used to sex the chicks.

If your rooster is a black sex link he has one barred gene and one not barred gene. He will randomly pass those genes down to his offspring, males and females. A black sex link hen has no barred genes to pass down. In the generation you are talking about barring has nothing to do with sex. Either the cockerels or the pullets could be barred. Either the cockerels or the pullets could be not barred.

The only way you are going to know if those chicks are male or female is to grow them out.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

I have no idea what the lineage is of my chickens as I bought them on sale at the feed store and thought it would be fun to have chickens now I'm officially obssessed and a crazy chicken lady.

Why won't wing sexing work on these guys?

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

I have no idea what the lineage is of my chickens as I bought them on sale at the feed store and thought it would be fun to have chickens now I'm officially obssessed and a crazy chicken lady.

Why won't wing sexing work on these guys?

If you read the first post it will tell you why.

what Ridgerunner said!

After reading the first post of this thread it appears that we should be able to breed for Black Sex Links. Here is our Black Australorp roo, Oreo, well cockerel, 6 months old.

This is one of our 2 Barred Rock hens.
The BSL's we got from the feed store all have red over the black feathering.
My question is, will the Australorp/Barred Rock cross produce this same color or will they be all black when they feather out?
We also have a SLW, GLW, 2 Buff Orps and a Speckled Sussex that we may decide to house him with. Any thoughts on those crosses with him?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom