Sex- linked Information

Thanks for the quick replies.
Yep! I know it's just that first generation. I have red and black Sex Link hens now. I cross them with my Silver Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben to get replacement supper egger hens that are actually quite stunning slender bodied, tight feathered black with small crests, slight patterning on head and neck, and long slate legs. I have found (by accident) that the male offspring from the Spitzhauben cross do have mahogany heads. I would not trust that to be easily sex linked trait though.

DH is fond of the bigger "fluffy butts" so we are trying to build on English Opringtons. We hope to add more Brahmas and Marans in the future as well. As of now we only have 1 Light Brahma hen, 1 French Blue Copper Marans hen, and 3 Cuckoo Marans.

Hoping to do the sex link on the very large breeds so I can separate out male chicks for butcher early on so we don't get attached. We used to do that with Cornish Cross, but I have to say, they weren't super tasty. Growing big fast I think was the main factor.

image:1534.jpg
image:1532.jpg
The leakage won't be an issue with the extended black genes of the Chocolate Cuckoo Orpington, Cuckoo Marans, and the Barred Rock. Will definitely have an impact with the Legbar and the Olive Egger. But the basic rules for barring will still apply. It's just that immediate sexing may not be possible from those hens.

Not 100% sure what happened with the blue rooster. He came from a batch of hatching eggs I ordered that were Blue Black Splash, Blue Jubilee, and Jubilee. Here is a picture. He is 12 Weeks old.

Any Ideas on the blue with red leakage? Bad Blue Jubilee or just some random anomaly from his heritage. Or is this what a Blue Jubilee Orpington rooster looks like at 12 weeks??
Looks like typical leakage that plagues many breeders of BBS. It only expresses in males, but hens can carry the gene and pass it to offspring, making it very difficult to remove completely. Should not be an issue for sexlink breeding, but if you ever plan to breed Orpingtons it will be a problem.

Looks like typical leakage that plagues many breeders of BBS. It only expresses in males, but hens can carry the gene and pass it to offspring, making it very difficult to remove completely. Should not be an issue for sexlink breeding, but if you ever plan to breed Orpingtons it will be a problem.
Oh Ok, Thanks! I'm not worried about it. I don't show, or sell. Just like my chickens and sell a lot of eggs!

Aloha,

Why would the leakage be a problem with the CL and not the barred rock?

Thanks, Puhi
Barred Rock is pure for extended black, so no matter what the genes the rooster has, all chicks will have that black down for the white head spot to show against.
The Legbar is not based on solid black genetics. If the leakage was indicative of other possible pattern genes, it would mean that he isn't pure for extended black, and therefore, the white head spot might be more difficult to see on lighter down colors.

IMG_1816.JPG

Cockerel

IMG_1818.JPG

Pullet

IMG_3059.JPG

Pullet

IMG_3064.JPG

Cockerel

Non barred roos bred to Cream Legbar hens generally create a blackish chick not black, with cockerels having headspot and pullets either being solid or striped
However sometimes the chicks are not blackish but the cockerels still have the headspot

Here are some of mine
Barnevelder roo over cream Legbar hens

Aloha kākou,

I am trying to work out the genetics via Punnet Square but cannot do it here. But please help me out on this:

A BCM rooster has two Z chromosomes and both have the recessive gene for non-barring. is b, b for barring. Also EE for black coloring.
A female Cream Legbar has barring on her one Z chromosome (B).

When you breed them, a male chick will inherit a b from the Z chromosome from Dad, and will bet the B from the Z chromosome from Mom. Therefore, the males will all be Bb and show single barring.
The females will only receive the b from the the Z from Dad but nothing for barring on the W chromosome from Mom. So all female offspring will have no barring.

Is this correct?

Thanks, Puhi

Similar for shank color.

The male will receive yellow shank from Mom and black shank from Dad, so gray.

The female will receive only black from Dad, so her legs should be black.

Feathering is sparse.

Is that correct?

Thanks, Puhi

Back
Top Bottom