Sex- linked Information

20190103_150559.jpg
Yes, that black with red leakage in the front is classic red-based black sexlink coloring. What do the males look like from wheaten crosses? Just out of curiosity.

Yes, you will always get black sexlinks. If the chicks are blue, the contrast with the white head spot is much lower, making them much harder to sex than the black chicks.

Thanks for that information! I have gotten pretty good at knowing what I was looking for with my sex link crosses, but.. I had a situation where my Blue Wheaten got into my RIR over Plym. Barred Rocks Pen. I kept my Blue Wheaten to put over my White layers.(Which are not sex link, but the layers that I get from them are pretty blue egg layers and easy to know what eggs I am using for hatch. lol)

Blue Wheaten Ameraucana X Barred Rock Hen? = Black Sex Link?
Yes this is true but with your birds you have something mixed up.
The whole deal with black sex links is that the hen is barred and passes the barred gene to her sons but the rooster isn't barred therefore the pullets do not get the barred gene.
Your cockerel isn't barred so something isn't right. He is not a black sex link and a barred rock hen can not be his mother.

Blue Wheaten Ameraucana X Barred Rock Hen? = Black Sex Link?
Yes this is true but with your birds you have something mixed up.
The whole deal with black sex links is that the hen is barred and passes the barred gene to her sons but the rooster isn't barred therefore the pullets do not get the barred gene.
Your cockerel isn't barred so something isn't right. He is not a black sex link and a barred rock hen can not be his mother.

Good point! No, he isn't barred. Glad you pointed that out, either way, he is just a free-loader at the moment.. haha!

Hey everyone- I have a question related to gold - silver sex linkage. I have read many places that it will not work in the reverse (silver male and gold female). I’m guessing that you are not able to tell on the chick coloration. Could you tell the difference between sexes once juvenile/adult feathers comes in? The calculator is saying that there should be different colors.
1A86921C-7098-4C0A-8DDA-E7EA1DA92D3D.jpeg

Hey everyone- I have a question related to gold - silver sex linkage. I have read many places that it will not work in the reverse (silver male and gold female). I’m guessing that you are not able to tell on the chick coloration. Could you tell the difference between sexes once juvenile/adult feathers comes in? The calculator is saying that there should be different colors.
View attachment 2030875
Depending on whether the silver male is carrying recessive gold, the chicks may be all silver or about half gold, but the color will not be segregated by sex, in other words, you will get about half females and half males of either or both colors.
You will only be able to sex them by the normal means, comb size, pointed hackle, crowing, etc., not by gold or silver colors.

The calculator is saying that there should be different colors.

That's just the way silver expresses itself when they feather out. I don't know how much the recessive gold has to do with it. On the males the silver produces a gold tint in the saddle and hackles. That's not going to show up on the down so it is not a way to sex them at hatch. By the time saddle and hackle feathers come in you can usually sex them another way.

@dheltzel the way I read the question, the calculator calls the females "silver" and the males "yellow/golden".

Back
Top Bottom