Sex- linked Information

This may be a redundant question, but I do not want to read through 273 pages of post! I did read the first several pages.
I am incubating some grocery store eggs, brown fertilized, that I believe are the product of some kind of red sex link cross. I actually wrote an e-mail to the egg producer, but they have not replied. Curious how the chicks will look. (I know I will find out soon enough). I know it depends on what breeds were used to create the parent birds, and I also know the chicks will not be sex linked. Anyone have experience with this? I incubated them just for fun, did not really expect any of them to actually develop!
Thanks!:)

This may be a redundant question, but I do not want to read through 273 pages of post! I did read the first several pages.
I am incubating some grocery store eggs, brown fertilized, that I believe are the product of some kind of red sex link cross. I actually wrote an e-mail to the egg producer, but they have not replied. Curious how the chicks will look. (I know I will find out soon enough). I know it depends on what breeds were used to create the parent birds, and I also know the chicks will not be sex linked. Anyone have experience with this? I incubated them just for fun, did not really expect any of them to actually develop!
Thanks!:)
They will probably come out being red or white with red leakage. The males are most likely Red Sex Link cockerels.

If you look in the very first post in this thread there is a red sex link chart. If you mate your RIR rooster with any of the hens on the right you should get red sex link chicks.

I must have been drunk when I made this post. LOL Because I have been making sex links for some time now, but I think I was asking for additional female options, as I find Silver Laced Wyandottes not as hardy. But I will look it over again and maybe try to source something else for my Sexed Red Easter Eggers.

But here are some pics of these two @ 4 weeks of age now: Female on Right, Male on Left.
I found their markings fairly easy to distinguish right from hatch. sexedee1.jpg sexedee2.jpg

sexedee4.jpg sexedee3.jpg

sexedee6.jpg sexedee5.jpg

Similar to a normal black sex link the female is considerably darker... (Also, I should say these are BLUE, as I used a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana) But he also throws the blacks as well. And still, markings are very distinguishable at hatch.

Here is the Black (she is 2.5 weeks old.) Raven Black at hatch, with typical Ameraucana Cheeks.

sexedee7.jpg sexedee8.jpg

For a buff orpington roo.and a light Sussex hen or rhode island white hen. Would the male chicks be white and the female golden at hatch?

If you read the comments in the first post in this thread right after that red sex link tale it discusses this, especially the RIW hen.

The simple answer is yes they will be red sex links. You should be able to tell the difference in the boys and girls. The buff instead of red may make it a little harder to see the difference in some crosses. In these crosses it should be pretty obvious.

The Light Sussex hen is not barred so you cannot make a Black Sex Link.

The Light Sussex hen has silver so she can be used to make a Red Sex Link with the right rooster. The Black Copper rooster has gold so that part works. But one of the requirements is that you have to be able to see the difference in down color on the chicks at hatch for them to be a Red Sex Link. I think there is a small chance you will be able too but I'm not sure, never done that. You will probably need one of each to be able to compare them and see if you can tell the difference, it might be a very small area. The Black Copper Marans is Birchen and Birchen is generally not recommended for a Red Sex Link but you might get lucky.

When they feather out you should be able to tell the difference but not comfortable you will with the down. If you try it please post photos and let us know how it went.

Back
Top Bottom