sex linking- Ok this has gone past science fair... I wanna know

growinupinfl

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Pensacola
My daughter is plotting to make me nuts.. she wants to get day old chickens and see if there is anyway the average home chicken hobbyist can sex them. She wants to buy more chickens.... I do not want to buy more chickens.. So please help..

We have a buff orphington roo and then a mixture of hens. I am posing her working with a breeder to help sexing them... (She has to call them not me!) But if it is a possibility to even test the sex-link feathering it would be cool. Does anyone know which breeds are fast feathering and slow feathering.. Then she can hatch the eggs then start measuring them from the moment of hatching to see which is hens and which is roo's. I think that is something that all of us chicken enthusiast would like to know....

Thanks a lot...

Christal

Last edited:
I think it depends on the breed- it works for some but not others. I tried it with my last lot of chicks that hatched then asked on here and people said they thought it might work on the BOxRIR I had but not sure of the others. I thought the BOxRIR was female from the feather sexing and 10 weeks on I still think she's a female. I think I thought 2 of the 4 Australorps were male, they are all pretty much identical but I think there is 1 definite male as he's bigger and got redder comb. And feather sexing the two Polish Crested chicks said they were both girls, but now I think one has a punkier hair do than the other with redder bits, but we'll see. I've now got three Burford Browns- 2 weeks old- feather sexing said all female but one's got awfully thick legs so we'll see.....

Have currently got Cotswold Legbars and White Stars in the incubator (Day 2). No idea about the White Stars, but I know that Cream Legbars are sexlinked so will have to find out about the Cotswold Legbars- if any hatch will try feather sexing vs autosexing if it applies to them and will let you know :eek:)

Will be very interested to hear how she gets on with her project, please let us know how you get on.

Quality barred birds should carry slow feathering; cuckoos should carry fast feathering. But I am pretty sure that wing sexing can't be done at hatching, that it takes a few days to a week before they are sufficiently developed. No an area I am sufficiently knowledgeable about. I do know that it does not work on every breed.

How old/what grade is your daughter? Working with red or black sexlinking would probably be easier. Since you have a buff orp roo, if you have a silver hen, that would give red sexlinks. If you have barred or cuckoo hens, that will give you black sexlinks.

Rapid feathering (k+k+)
• Leghorn
• Minorca
• Andalusian
• Ancona'
• Buff Catalana

Slow Feathering (K/_^w)
• Brahma
• Cochin
• Langshan
• Dorking
• Cornish
• Orpington
• Sussex
• Australorp
• Rhode Island Red
• New Hampshire
• Delaware
• Plymouth Rock
• Jersey Giant
• Whandotte
http://animalsciences.missouri.edu/reprod/ReproTech/Feathersex/sld006.htm
You will want to breed a Fast (rapid) feathering Male to a Slow Feathering Female....

Chris

Scroll down to the feather sexing section of the first post here. It explains it well. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

In
order to be able to feather sex chicks, the parents have to be bred for it. In other words, you need to breed a fast featering roo to a slow feathering hen. The offspring would be the opposite - slow feathering cockerels and fast feathering pullets.

OK,

I have read through all the sex link info.. But I still have questions, I tried the one chicken genetic calculator I could find.. But I don't speak or read dutch.. So here it is...

I have a Buff Orphington Roo will any of our girls have sex link traits..
I have
2 brown red Americuana,

2 Rhode Island Red,

2 Brown Leghorns,

2 black sex-links ( I know they won't be sex linked but any idea what they would look like?)

1 wheaten polish bearded

. I also have two cochins one white one buff ( doubt they would have sex links, but is the leg feathers dominant or recessive?)

My other questions is Tadkerson mentions a book and shows some excellent charts and graphs.. Does anyone know what this book is? Or what book discusses chicken genetics more at length?

Thanks a lot

This is so interesting, can't wait to learn more

Christal

Are you sure your Polish is wheaten? I raise Polish and have never seen or heard of wheaten in Polish.

Also, I don't believe that you will get sex-links out of any of your birds.

ya know what.. I have only been told she is a wheaten polish bantam. I am not a bantam breeder so I will take what I was told. I do know that I have yet to find another one like her in pictures. She laid the cutest little pinkish white egg today LOL... I also have one barred rock.. So we will see... it should be interesting... I think I really want a leghorn roo now though.. ha... maybe next year..

Any other idea's on what might pass on with my silly little flock? size, feathered feet? What color does anyone think will pass down? It will be an interesting learning curve!!

Here is a picture of the bantam I was told is a Wheaten if you know what she is please share
53024_59333_1567081426822_1529031250_31412466_6040982_s.jpg
]

53024_sunspot.jpg
It was rainy that day she was up on the fence.. Hence her hair all messed up LOL

Last edited:
The pictures are really to small to tell anything well, but she looks buff, not wheaten, and I'm not sure she is even polish.

There are three leg feathering genes; two are incompletely dominant, 1 is recessive.

Of your hens, the barred rock is the only one that can give you sex-linked offspring: bred to a buff male, the sons will have barring; daughters will not.

Back
Top Bottom