sex links are 25 weeks and no eggs!

jjmcmurray

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 26, 2013
Caroline Co, Va
I don't get it. My red sex links are 25 weeks old and still no eggs from them! They don't investigate the nesting boxes they don't squat, nothing! Are they just bums? I have two Easter assets and polish that have been laying for about a month, so it's not like they don't know what the nesting boxes are for... I feed them laying mash and left over veggies and rice from our dinners, change their water daily... I'm stumped, any suggestions?

How many do you have? Red Sex Links in general are usually good layers and fairly early, odd that they would be last in a mixed group to start laying. 25 weeks is not that old, but would expect them to lay earlier. Are they actual sex links or production reds? Some of the production reds I've have been somewhat older when they started laying. Have their combs/wattles turned red? Could they be hiding eggs somewhere or are they separate from the others so you know they are not laying? Some pullets never squat for people, and don't spend much time investigating nesting boxes.

Last edited:
Our Easter eggers and Polish hen are about 10 weeks older than the RSL. We have2 roos and 2 pullets. The roos have decided as of about two weeks ago to mount our laying hens but thankfully not their sisters! I figured they would've been laying by now

Back
Top Bottom