I have a small back yard flock.
2 Black Giants
2 ameracuanas (EE)
2 black sex links
2 red sex links
1 golden comet (sex link)
1 buff orp roo

(We have raised all from chicks.)

My sex links are bossy and irratable chickens. they pick on and at the other chickens until the have their backs clean of feathers(especially the black ones and the golden comet).

So my question is what is your experience with sex links. Are they meaner chickens or did I just get a bad batch.

I don't know. I'm still not sure if I have sex links or black jerseys. Just thought I'd give u a post! I don't know how you could have a bad batch....but I guess anything's possible.

We have 7 chickens including 2 of each: Light Bramha, buff orps, barred rocks and 1 black sex link (one died as a chick). The sex link is one of the less flighty, more friendly bird. But this is our first chicken experience so we don't have much to compare to!

i have 3 balck sex links and they are one of the most dosile of my birds...my aggressive birds are my RIR

my daughter has chosen a sex link as her fave...she calls her girlfriend and girlfriend follows her everywhere she can put girlfriend in her doll stroller and walk about the yard..

We started out with Gold Sex Links, Red sex Links and Black Sex Links. The Gold Sex links wandered the furthest, were the most prone to bossiness (picky) and suffered from predation (slightly smaller easy to see) and disease (internal layer). The Reds are self sufficient and watchful (the roo is `tame' but very much a roo). Our Black Sex Links are the most docile, thrifty and friendly.

Maybe breeding stock and flock dynamics?

Our black sex link (black star) is a moody, rude, mean, and basically a little butthead of a chicken (well really a six week old chick). As of right now if she does not calm down with both us and her flock mates she will end up in the cast iron pan when she is big enough. This chick has handled multiple times daily and she has acted like this from day 1. I wish I had not gotten her at all.

I have a flock of 10 Gold Comet sex-links, all the same age. They get along beautifully - no fights at all. Maybe because they're de-beaked??
idunno.gif

I have one of each, black and red.

They are 22 weeks today and the red still has not layed an egg. I've gotten a half dozen eggs from my black star. She is our flock favorite. Docile, loves to be held and is also the most comical. I wish that most of my flock were clones of our black star.

Back
Top Bottom