Sex Links groaning and crouching

Gundog75

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 28, 2013
This is my first flock and I get interested by new changes in my chickens..so bear with me if these are super common things I just haven't experienced yet. I have five young four month old hens.They seem to be right on the verge of eggs..but not quite yet. I have two red sex links(they were sold to me as Golden or Brown SLs..but they seem to be Red SLs) They are both fine chickens..a little crazy..but just chickens. They have two odd habits that have developed lately the others(California Grey,RI Red and a Leghorn) don't have. One..they groan all the time. It's less of a chicken noise and more of a groan. Both do it..I'm just curious if this is a breed thing or if there is something they are not getting. It's decently loud and I hope that my neighbors don't begin to complain. Hopefully I'll be able to smooth things over with the massive egg bounty I'm sure is headed my way..but if there is something I'm not doing or something that can help this matter it would be great. The other thing they do is they have begun getting in a crouch down position when I reach down for them..they used to flee now they just sort of seize up and buckle down. They have never been mistreated or mishandled so I'm not sure if this is a normal behavior or if this something that I should be concerned about. Thank you for any help.

I am not exactly sure what the groaning is but hens do make lots of different little noises. I have never had a red sex link.

The squatting though is perfectly normal. They are treating you like a rooster -- it is a mating stance. Once they start this behavior eggs will be very soon.

You were100% correct.Thank you. They started laying today..and the groaning stopped afterwards as well. I'm just trying to stay on top of things.

Back
Top Bottom