Sex of Egyptian fayoumis

It sounds like that is her cry for freedom. Tell her she is a spoiled little chicken and is better off in the coop than if she was free ranging on the Nile delta avoiding crocodiles. If you do let them free range to any extent, I would be going on an egg hunt. Some EFs are bad about hiding eggs, even if they don't get broody.

Ha! She is such a spoiled chicken. It is a little upsetting how spoiled she is compared to most chickens. Nothing more I can do to make her happy and hopefully she will calm down with laying and a little age. I do keep really close track of her when out free ranging. She tends to jump the fence or try to run into the road so I follow her very very closely. No eggs yet.

I have a Fayoumi. She is 7 Months old and still not an egg. I live in the Sonoran Desert in Tucson and have bobcats, coyotes, great horned owls, raccoons and hawks all on my large parcel (7 acres) of land so my girls do not free range. No comb or wattles on my bird. Have not found any hidden eggs. What could be wrong?:/

I have a Fayoumi. She is 7 Months old and still not an egg. I live in the Sonoran Desert in Tucson and have bobcats, coyotes, great horned owls, raccoons and hawks all on my large parcel (7 acres) of land so my girls do not free range. No comb or wattles on my bird. Have not found any hidden eggs. What could be wrong?
hmm.png
She might be waiting for Spring. Diet plays a large role as well, but I've got hens (various breeds) right now that are between 6-7 months, are well-fed and have not laid an egg yet.

Just an update on my little girl - no egg yet for her either! She is now almost 7 months old. She has the diet of a queen, but apparently something is not clicking yet. She knows I won't eat her (cause she's too small) so she feels safe under performing.
On a side note, it is getting colder and she really isn't enjoying that. I think I will need to make her a down coat. Right now she's using her fat friend (a very hefty marans) for her warmth. I'm not sure how long that can continue... I'm not expecting an egg until spring at this rate.

Odd, for spring chicks you'd think they would be laying, where did you guys get your girls? I've gotten them from McMurray and Sand Hill, about 15 total, and they have all been pretty early layers by 5 months or so, maybe there is a line difference?

Got mine from the local feed store. Not sure where they bought them. Her diet is more than adequate. My other 4 girls( 3 Rhode Island Reds and 1 Jersey Giant) who I bought at the same time from same store are all laying almost daily. Between those four I get about 2 dozen eggs per week. I just out ten more pullets out in the coop tonight. Soon I'll have more eggs than what I know what to do with.:D

Better start looking up recipes that use a lot of eggs, sounds like you will need them. Still think it is odd the EFs are not laying, wonder if she will wait until spring now. Was trying to figure out if it was time of the year, but I usually got them in Feb or Mar so they would have been about the same age as yours. No clue unless it has something to do with the particular lines.

Back
Top Bottom