Sex of silkie chicks.

AAJ

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 21, 2011
I have a broody hen about to hatch some eggs Tuesday and I would like to know how to determine the sex of the chicks that she hatches. I have been told that is hard to tell the sex of silkies until they get older. Please help.

Ya, you can usually sex silkies when they crow or lay an egg. You can try and look at hackle feathers or combs before that, but I cant do it yet :). Either way, they are usually older before you can do any of it.

Yes Silkies are extremely hard to sex. Even the most seasoned Silkie owners I have met did not feel comfortable selling me chicks with the gurantee that they would be female. Because it's just really hard to know for sure. Thats why I went with nearly year old Pullets because they were laying eggs and I could clearly visually see the difference between roosters and hens. And roosters are a big no no in the city.

I also had a friend with a Silkie that she was positive was maturing pullet, until HE started to crow one day.

You can try dropping a sewing needle on a 2 foot silk thread in front of the egg before it hatches while holding the other end. If the needle swings back and forth its a rooster and if it spins in a circle its a hen. It only works for true believers. Must use quality silkie thread.

Last edited:
ROFLOL!!!
lau.gif
Good one! I'll have to try to remember that. That pretty much sums it up for me!

You can try dropping a sewing needle on a 2 foot silk thread in front of the egg before it hatches while holding the other end. If the needle swings back and forth its a rooster and if it spins in a circle its a hen. It only works for true believers. Must use quality silkie thread.

Back
Top Bottom