sex of the Blue slate babies

scbatz33

No Vacancy, Belfry Full
11 Years
Jan 23, 2009
South GA
Just wondering, I read my bourbon reds have a color difference in their feathering when they start to feather out. do the slate blues have the same? I have two with black splotches and one with out.....here are photos....
no black bird...
21675_dscn1076.jpg

21675_dscn1075.jpg

one of the ones with black...
21675_dscn1074.jpg

21675_dscn1073.jpg

Thanks

I'm thinking the black spotted ones are boys, but the bump on the one in the photo is bigger than the other one, so I wasn't sure. Also, they are about a month old.

Last edited:
Hi Scbatz33,

I would say the no Spot one is a hen and the spotted one in pic is a Tom.
But I don't know about the feathering thing. Sorry.

Tim

That was my guess too. I just could have sworn I saw somewhere where the coloring was a determining factor. Like with my bourbon red chick has white tips - ie I read that means it's a she vs. black tips on the males' feathers.

Quote:
You are exalty right that black is part of the blue gene. I saw that u r in bloomington. I live in washington. What kind of poultry do you raise chseeads?

Last edited:
Quote:
You are exalty right that black is part of the blue gene. I saw that u r in bloomington. I live in washington. What kind of poultry do you raise chseeads?

Over the years I've had all kinds of chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, pigeons and what have you.

I got out of the business and haven't raised anything for several years now, but I'm getting back into it again.

I have chickens, turkeys, and geese on order.

The geese come next week.

It very well could be that your spotted one is a male, but I agree with the other 2 posters. The way the 'blue' genetics works, you could possibly get 3 different colors from the same parent birds.

Back
Top Bottom