Sexing 2 week old barnyard mix

I don't know @TheOddOneOut, it's worked for me. I don't what to cause an argument.

We all have different flocks. They are set up differently. The science says you cannot count on feather sexing (or any sex linked sexing) unless you know how the parents are set up genetically. I don't know how yours is set up. It is possible that purely by accident yours is set up correctly for it to work. There is also something called coincidence, it may have just been luck. I don't know nearly enough of your flock's backstory to have a clue as to what happened but I don't doubt what you have seen.

Just because something works for me doesn't mean it will work for you. We are all unique in many many things. I think a lot of the arguments and hurt feelings on here are caused by this. Some people can be easily offended and some people can be abrasive. To me it's not worth an argument but maybe a bit of understanding can help.

The OP's flock is a barnyard mix according to the thread title. That pretty much assures that they don't know how the parents were set up genetically so they cannot count on feather sexing to work. With them being mixes the odds are really high that it won't work. But that is just odds, stranger things have happened.

We all have different flocks. They are set up differently. The science says you cannot count on feather sexing (or any sex linked sexing) unless you know how the parents are set up genetically. I don't know how yours is set up. It is possible that purely by accident yours is set up correctly for it to work. There is also something called coincidence, it may have just been luck. I don't know nearly enough of your flock's backstory to have a clue as to what happened but I don't doubt what you have seen.

Just because something works for me doesn't mean it will work for you. We are all unique in many many things. I think a lot of the arguments and hurt feelings on here are caused by this. Some people can be easily offended and some people can be abrasive. To me it's not worth an argument but maybe a bit of understanding can help.

The OP's flock is a barnyard mix according to the thread title. That pretty much assures that they don't know how the parents were set up genetically so they cannot count on feather sexing to work. With them being mixes the odds are really high that it won't work. But that is just odds, stranger things have happened.
I agree with you 100%.

I've got one question, when I by my bantams from the feed store, I feather sex them, I usually get them all right but 1 or 2. And half the time I don't even know the breed. Is it just a coincidence?

I've got one question, when I by my bantams from the feed store, I feather sex them, I usually get them all right but 1 or 2. And half the time I don't even know the breed. Is it just a coincidence?

I would think so. The science says it is. If it were that easy why don't most hatcheries sell sexed bantams? They are too small for quick vent sexing.

I would think so. The science says it is. If it were that easy why don't most hatcheries sell sexed bantams? They are too small for quick vent sexing.
I don't know. They do feather sex the standards sometimes. We were watching Dirty Jobs with Mike Row. He went to Murry Mcmurry Hatchery and they were feather sexing standard chicks.

Certain hatcheries do feather sex some standards. I think they don't for bantams because you have to buy 30 anyways usually and no one would ever buy the males since they're too tiny to eat

Back
Top Bottom