Sexing 4 week d'uccles

Rowsdower

Songster
7 Years
May 27, 2012
So my d'uccles are roughly 4 weeks old now. It's fairly obvious that one of them is a cockerel at this point. But I am still holding out hope for the other. Someone give me reason to believe that I am not doomed to only get roos in straight run purchases for the rest of my life. Please?

This is the little cockerel. His name is Marigold. I might have to rethink that.

The one that I am on the fence about,or was, until I uploaded this pic.

But just for good measure, here are a couple more of her looking slightly more girly.

Its hard to tell at 4 weeks from pictures, but im leaning towards cockerel. but sometimes hens don't show their white until they are a little older. if it does turn out to be a cockerel, I may be able to find a couple extra hens toward the end of summer.

now that I take a second look, I question my judgement.
I know you don't want to hear this, but let her grow a little more, if it is a roo, I know I have one hen im parting with, and im sure ill have some extras raised soon.

No, no, no...Thank you for the offer, but if these are both roos I am unloading them on you. :p

I do think you have a pair. btw, you said you were "making a list of my birds". I have a hatch happening around the 29th with several of my bantams. if your interested in any, let me know so I can separate the breed if I have any of that breed hatching. I wont put my prices on here but im a little cheaper than tsc.

That'll be roughly the same time that my eggs are hatching. Once that happens, I'll be better able to tell you what I am looking for. With my luck I'll have a 'bator full of roosters and you'll have to start making a list. LOL

if you end up with an incubator full of roosters, drop the temp a half a degree. although there are other things that can cause it, mainly age of hen that laid the egg.

it seems you do have the worst luck with roosters LOL

Back
Top Bottom