sexing 4 week old chick question

chairboy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 31, 2010
North central PA
until two weeks ago I had 5 wonderful laying hens that had been laying for two months and a rooster. Today I only have a rooster. Over the course of 10 days a raccoon got my hens. A few days ago I got the raccoon. I am building a more secure run as I write this message.

So here is the lead up to my question. I want to get up and running again. In my area there is a person who raised several chicks with her daughter. They are 4 week old barred rock/ Rhode Island cross (previously, I had barred rocks that I had shipped). She does not know whether they are roos or hens. I have read a little about sexing barred rocks via the color of their legs and the size of the white spot on their heads. However, since these birds are a mix and only 4 weeks old is there a way to reasonably sex them? I have not seen the birds yet and the person is a half hour away. So I have no photos.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

i sex all my chick by there feathers!!!! works like a charm for me.... some say it only works on certain breeds....but i have used this method on crosses and on bc marans and its 100% true!!!
here is a good video

please explain how to do this ..........i have 4 week old chicks the one in the pic im thinking is a roo . ??

i sex all my chick by there feathers!!!! works like a charm for me.... some say it only works on certain breeds....but i have used this method on crosses and on bc marans and its 100% true!!!
here is a good video

This works for chicks a few days old, at 4 weeks would this still work? Most videos on this say you can't use this method after a few days.

I'm looking for the same answer. We hatched some chicks and sold them for delivery in about a month. My ds, 10, says you can tell by looking at the vent or maybe in the vent, I don't know as I've never seen it. He read about in a book but I don't know if it will work on older chicks.

I thing it was something like this

http://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=..._uri=/watch?v=1tmEO9xRqvo&v=1tmEO9xRqvo&gl=US

Will this work on older chicks?

Back
Top Bottom