Sexing 4 week old chicks with fighting technique? Rooster or pullet?

Berryworm

Chirping
Sep 22, 2018
Hi,

my almost 4 week old chicks are fighting, as all chicks. What I observed is that some of the chicks are fighting by jumping with both feet forward, while others do not. Can I sex the chicks with this? I think only males fight with both feet forwards, is that right?

Hope someone can help, as with mixed breeds it's difficult to say what they are.

thanks

Just saw this thread - thank goodness because I have 17 straight run polish and silkies and most all of them do a bit of ‘fighting’. However, I am seeing an awful lot of pointy tail feathers on the polish crested chicks, and I saw somewhere that can indicate males? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Just saw this thread - thank goodness because I have 17 straight run polish and silkies and most all of them do a bit of ‘fighting’. However, I am seeing an awful lot of pointy tail feathers on the polish crested chicks, and I saw somewhere that can indicate males? 🤷🏻‍♀️
Age? Pointy tail feathers are male specific, but only come in at 12+ weeks usually.

If it's just the shape of their tail, I don't think that means anything for now. (if they are younger than 12 weeks)

Age? Pointy tail feathers are male specific, but only come in at 12+ weeks usually.

If it's just the shape of their tail, I don't think that means anything for now. (if they are younger than 12 weeks)
It’s the specific feathers I was concerned about. A few have definitely rounded and a few have definitely rooster type pointy with other rooster characteristics (early maturing 😆). But the rest all have thinnish elongated feathers with roundish ends (so hopefully they’ll become more defined in the coming weeks).

93AA88FB-6AC0-4FD0-92F8-59AB4165171F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom