sexing Ameraucana chicks...

I think your referring to me... my chicks are form pips and peeps.

I know color isnt a way to sex them, I was thinking I clould tell my early feathering though. With other breeds of mine I noticed the hens were early to feather out and the roo took quite a bit longer.
With the difference in color I was thinking it would tell me which were the wheatens and which were blue wheatens.

Quote:
Yes, I was referring to you. Sorry about that. I should've done the "quote" thing.

If I remember correctly (I should've kept better records and will this year), it was about six weeks when I could start telling the males from females but it was a LOT longer than that before I could tell the Wheatens from Blue Wheatens. Again, I should've kept better records but I think it was the Blue Wheatens that had a bit more yellowish tint to them. My chicks were all toe punched when I got them but I had so many things going on at the time that I just never thought about recording physical characteristics down and then matching them up to what I knew I had gotten. Plus some of the chicks came from BWxBW so I had a chance at 50% Blue Wheaten, 25% Wheaten, and 25% Splash Wheaten. Unfortunately I never got any Splash Wheatens. I hope to this year with my own breeding though.

Also, to make things more complicated, I had three other ladies go in on an order with me. One was easy as she only wanted Blues & Blacks but one of the others only wanted Wheatens and the other a mix of Wheatens and Blue Wheatens. So I was trying to get everybody what they wanted and still keep what I needed and at the same time keep a good mix of lines so that nobody got a lot of brother/sister combinations. It was a lot more complicated than it sounds. Anyways, I don't know why but it just seems to me that I determined the white chicks were all Wheatens and all the yellowish-tinted ones turned out to be Blue Wheatens. Because they were toe punched, it just never occurred to me concern myself with their coloration.

Since I'm hatching my own this year and tracking everything from start to finish, it should be readily apparent to me as to whether the yellowish-tinted birds are all BW's.

Anyways, to summarize and answer your question more specifically, I don't think you'll have any problem telling males from females after about a month. Just look closely at the pin feathers as they start to come in. If you get a bunch of dark ones other than on the wings, you're looking at a male. The male Wheaten and BW's will take a bit longer to distinguish from each other and the females a lot longer. Even now that mine are grown, I often have to get fairly close to tell the difference with a couple of mine.

Btw, you can't go wrong with birds from Jean. Keep me in mind down the road should you like to get some new blood for your flock. I'm selling hatching eggs now and have more info on my birds in that post.

I hope I was somewhat helpful.

God Bless,

I was wondering why you were telling me how to tell the difference in genders, I have an idea of what I am doing.
smile.png

And your post made sense to me. I think the difference in the colors already is an indication I have both wheaten and blue wheaten... I just dont know which ones are the wheaten and which are the blue wheaten.

I'm selling my eggs for $36 per dozen (plus a few "insurance" eggs). I have a post under the "Hatching Chicken Eggs - Buy Sell Trade" Forum. There's more info on them and my birds there.

God Bless,

I was told this was an Ameraucana but I don't think so. Can anyone help and also help with the sex to please
1f60a.png
The legs almost look lightly feathered in this photo - is that the case or just a matter of the way the photo looks? Can you get a clear shot of the comb?

The legs almost look lightly feathered in this photo - is that the case or just a matter of the way the photo looks?  Can you get a clear shot of the comb? 

Yes her legs have been feathered since she hatched. And I will certainly take a photo of her comb in the morn. They're roosting now for the night. Her comb is starting to go red and it's very low profile. She's 13 weeks now.

Back
Top Bottom