Sexing and Identifying Chick Hybrids

Arya28

Songster
Apr 9, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hi! Some of you may have seen the thread I started last week about hatching eggs under a broody hen. Well, a lot of those chicks have hatched (which you'll know if you're keeping updated on that!) and there is a lot of great advice giving and discussion going on there! Now, we are trying to figure out about sexing our chicks, and what kind they are.

The ones we are not sure about all have a Cream Legbar for a dad. Here are the hens we have in our pen that could be the moms:

• Black Sex Links
  • ISA Browns
  • Buff Orpington
  • Easter Eggers
  • Blue Copper Marans
We also have Spitzhauben and Silkie hens in that pen, but their chicks were obvious when they hatched.

We have four yellow chipmunks with eyeliner (who we are fairly certain are girls- one of them is clearly a silkie cross).

We have two black chicks with white on wings, and white dots on their heads.

We have one deep red colored chick with a tiny white dot on her head (Looks EXACTLY like her mom did at that age).

We have one purebred Svart Hona, who is obvious.

We have one Silkie x Svart Hona- who is also obvious.

And we have one Spitzhauben x Cream Legbar.

10 chicks total- so far.

The ones we aren't sure about are the chipmunks with eyeliner (except the one we know is part silkie). And we also aren't sure about the black chicks with white dots on their heads. I am confused about the barring gene here- I know cream legbars can pass down a white dot for boys. But I also know barred rocks and olive eggers can have white dots either way. And the Spitzhauben x Cream Legbar has a white dot that looks JUST like it's dad's did at that age- so we think that's a boy.

So if any of you have ever had the hybrids mentioned above, are the sexable at hatch? Do you have pictures of them as chicks?

Looking for pics/sexes of possible:

• Black Sex Link x Cream Legbar
  • Buff Orpington x Cream Legbar
  • ISA Brown x Cream Legbar
  • Blue Copper Marans x Cream Legbar
  • Silver Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben x Cream Legbar
  • Easter Egger x Cream Legbar
Does anyone have genetic knowledge about this?- doesn't need to be super in-depth.

Any help figuring this out will be appreciated! Thank you :)

Hi! Some of you may have seen the thread I started last week about hatching eggs under a broody hen. Well, a lot of those chicks have hatched (which you'll know if you're keeping updated on that!) and there is a lot of great advice giving and discussion going on there! Now, we are trying to figure out about sexing our chicks, and what kind they are.

The ones we are not sure about all have a Cream Legbar for a dad. Here are the hens we have in our pen that could be the moms:

• Black Sex Links
  • ISA Browns
  • Buff Orpington
  • Easter Eggers
  • Blue Copper Marans
We also have Spitzhauben and Silkie hens in that pen, but their chicks were obvious when they hatched.

We have four yellow chipmunks with eyeliner (who we are fairly certain are girls- one of them is clearly a silkie cross).

We have two black chicks with white on wings, and white dots on their heads.

We have one deep red colored chick with a tiny white dot on her head (Looks EXACTLY like her mom did at that age).

We have one purebred Svart Hona, who is obvious.

We have one Silkie x Svart Hona- who is also obvious.

And we have one Spitzhauben x Cream Legbar.

10 chicks total- so far.

The ones we aren't sure about are the chipmunks with eyeliner (except the one we know is part silkie). And we also aren't sure about the black chicks with white dots on their heads. I am confused about the barring gene here- I know cream legbars can pass down a white dot for boys. But I also know barred rocks and olive eggers can have white dots either way. And the Spitzhauben x Cream Legbar has a white dot that looks JUST like it's dad's did at that age- so we think that's a boy.

So if any of you have ever had the hybrids mentioned above, are the sexable at hatch? Do you have pictures of them as chicks?

Looking for pics/sexes of possible:

• Black Sex Link x Cream Legbar
  • Buff Orpington x Cream Legbar
  • ISA Brown x Cream Legbar
  • Blue Copper Marans x Cream Legbar
  • Silver Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben x Cream Legbar
  • Easter Egger x Cream Legbar
Does anyone have genetic knowledge about this?- doesn't need to be super in-depth.

Any help figuring this out will be appreciated! Thank you :)
The Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread is where you should be able to find your answers.

I am confused about the barring gene here- I know cream legbars can pass down a white dot for boys.
I think that only 'works' when you have cross a solid male over a barred female.
Not sure what pure CCL chicks look like for sexing at hatch.

Note that when you express a cross it's 'male x female'.

Back
Top Bottom