1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing Australorps???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dwdoc, Feb 22, 2011.

1. dwdoc

dwdoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Seffner, Florida
    Is vent sexing the only way to sex a Black Australorp? I'll be hatching 5 (fingers crossed) on the 5th of March...

Thank you.

2. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't really say when the first you could tell is, but I received an order from MM and had them mark the males because I was splitting the order with someone who did not want roos. All three of the marked roos have not started growing tail feathers as of 2 weeks, and all the ones that were sexed as pullets have.

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Vent sexing is the only way to tell the gender of anything other than a sexlink at the say old stage, but within 2 weeks subtle changes to the appearance begin and from there it's rather easy to tell.

4. Livinwright Farm

Livinwright Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    You can feather/wing sex them like any other chick at 2-3 days old. Here are 2 example photos I took with my mutt chicks.

COCKEREL
    [​IMG]

PULLET
    [​IMG]

I learned this trick at my local grainery, one of their employees was raised on a farm and knows a lot. This method NEVER fails.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by