Sexing barred rock cross chicks

Rivington

Songster
5 Years
May 17, 2017
We just had our first incubation and managed to hatch four chicks. The dad was a Plymouth Barred Rock (who unfortunately got killed by a fox the day before we started the incubation). The mothers were a variety of breeds, as we have red sex links, rhode island reds, an australorp, a barred rock, orpingtons, and easter eggers. We're not sure which chick came from which egg or in fact which hens laid each egg. From what I can gather it is not easy to sex the chicks as they are not pure bred. At any rate they all have different characteristics which could suggest male or female (head spots, leg color, etc). Is there anything to look for when the dad is a barred rock and the mother is unknown? I can share pics if that helps.

Funnily there is one candidate for roo already even though they are only a few days old. This morning I caught one trilling in what I am sure is a precursor to crowing!

No I don't think you've produced anything sex linked.
Head spots mean nothing. They should all have them.
Leg color isn't necessarily sex linked so not sure what you're thinking there.
Thanks for the advice. They do in fact all have spots with varying sizes and definition. As for the legs, I saw a few sources suggesting that pure bred barred rock cockerel chicks will have lighter colored legs than the female chicks. Here's an example: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/barred-rock-leg-color.368985/

Thanks for the advice. They do in fact all have spots with varying sizes and definition. As for the legs, I saw a few sources suggesting that pure bred barred rock cockerel chicks will have lighter colored legs than the female chicks. Here's an example: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/barred-rock-leg-color.368985/
That is true but your chicks won't be like that.
BR are because the genes that produce the black color often puts a black wash on the legs. The barring gene takes some of it off.
Pullets have only one barring gene so it only takes some of it away. Cockerels have two barring genes so it takes twice as much leaving little to none left.

Back
Top Bottom