Sexing Barred Rocks

Pics

Can anyone tell me why their feathers are different?

Feathering such as this suggests that they are mixed, not bred true. Quite likely crossed with something along the way.

Feathering on a Barred Rock should be precise and clean, but this is quite rare unless one purchased true bred lines from breeder stock.

Feathering such as this suggests that they are mixed, not bred true. Quite likely crossed with something along the way. Feathering on a Barred Rock should be precise and clean, but this is quite rare unless one purchased true bred lines from breeder stock.
, Ok, thank you so much!

Feathering such as this suggests that they are mixed, not bred true. Quite likely crossed with something along the way. Feathering on a Barred Rock should be precise and clean, but this is quite rare unless one purchased true bred lines from breeder stock. I wonder who's chickens these are? They are absolutely stunning! :frow

Those are indeed Fred's birds. He has those hypnotic, drop dead gorgeous barred Rocks that put hatchery birds to shame.

If folks post pics that aren't theirs, they usually say "not my bird" or something similar.

Feathering such as this suggests that they are mixed, not bred true. Quite likely crossed with something along the way.

Feathering on a Barred Rock should be precise and clean, but this is quite rare unless one purchased true bred lines from breeder stock.

Those are drool-worthy...lol
I have a hatchery girl and her coloring is so blurry compared to this hen.
love.gif

I'm sorry to have to 'rain on your parade' here but I breed, incubate, and sell Barred Rocks and I'm very good at sexing
them at two-three days of age as that is when the people who have 'pre-ordered' from me come by to pick them up.

Most of the folks who have purchased my birds recontact me and have verified that my sexing of their chicks was accurate.

Of course, there is no guarantee at that age, and that's what I say in my advertising but from 'experience' I've gotten
pretty good at it.

I believe from what I can see in the photos that all of the birds pictured are males. My birds are all descended from my Meyer Hatchery stock but the overall darker black color in the females vs. the kind of smoky dark grey of the males and the much darker 'wash' on the front of the legs on the females with the black stopping abruptly at the toes in the females vs. the lighter grey going all the way into the toes of the male or absent wash on the males legs.

Also, female birds generally have a much smaller and more well defined white spot on their heads whereas the males have a more diffuse blotch of white on the head that, continues down the back of the neck and around the sides as well.

The only BR that hatched in the Easter Hatch. This is a week old pic of it. Can I get your thoughts on the sex of it?

Back
Top Bottom