Sexing Chicks based on growth rate

CSDeVault

Songster
5 Years
Feb 18, 2018
I vaguely recall reading something that suggested hens develop quicker (adding more weight) than roos…I think roos develop their combs sooner but anything to suggest your larger chicks are hens and the smaller ones are roos? Thank you.

I vaguely recall reading something that suggested hens develop quicker (adding more weight) than roos…I think roos develop their combs sooner but anything to suggest your larger chicks are hens and the smaller ones are roos? Thank you.
Not necessarily. All of our chickens pretty much grew at the same rate, you can’t really tell which ones are hens or roos until they either grow feathers, grow their combs or start crowing..

For the most part, my little pullets grew out their tail feathers very quickly - they had noticeable tails at 2-3 weeks old, where my little cockerels had no tail or a tiny tail with feathers just starting to appear at that age. This isn’t fool proof, though. Probably depends on the breed, too (my roos ended up being one of my Buff Orpingtons and my Olive Egger (a Cream Legbar x Cuckoo Marans)).

Not in my experience. Most of mine are about the same. I don't get a lot that outgrow the others. More often it's a couple that lag behind. Either way sometimes they're males and sometimes they're females.

For the most part, my little pullets grew out their tail feathers very quickly - they had noticeable tails at 2-3 weeks old, where my little cockerels had no tail or a tiny tail with feathers just starting to appear at that age. This isn’t fool proof, though. Probably depends on the breed, too (my roos ended up being one of my Buff Orpingtons and my Olive Egger (a Cream Legbar x Cuckoo Marans)).
Interesting, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom