Sexing chicks

If any of them are barred (in a chick, black body with white dot on the head), you may be able to get a good guess based on the size and shape of that dot. Otherwise, it's going to be a coin flip.

Oh, and pale yellow eyes are called "pearl". Eye color has nothing at all to do with gender.

They are all going to be mutts except the two RIRs so I have no idea how they will turn out.
I'm going to try my hand at vent sexing just because I can, but other than that all I do is hope we get an even number of hens and roosters. :\

Last edited:
must just be my roster is different from my hens then. my black star baby mixed with my whitish roster has no White on its head just on its chin and belly.

If any of them are barred (in a chick, black body with white dot on the head), you may be able to get a good guess based on the size and shape of that dot. Otherwise, it's going to be a coin flip.

Oh, and pale yellow eyes are called "pearl". Eye color has nothing at all to do with gender.

Vent sexing should really only be done by those who know what they're doing. Incorrect technique can really harm the babies.

This is true. Squeezing too hard can cause internal injury and actually kill the chicks. And, if it were really as simple as looking at a few pictures and watching a You Tube video, trained vent sexers would be as commonplace as cashiers.

I'm not afraid of hurting them. I have gone through waaay to much with this incubation to risk that. If I get into it and am afraid I might cause them harm I will stop. I'm not saying I'm going to do it correctly and get it right, I just want to try it.

Back
Top Bottom