Sexing Crimson-fronted parakeet

Nov 26, 2021
I‘m curious what sex my Crimson-fronted parakeet is. Not sure of the age, I’ve owned them for 3 months now and they haven’t changed whatsoever.
I’m not sure if you can sex this parakeet but any help would be useful!

Some info:
They chirp and squawk on a common occasion, never for too long unless responded to by my other parrots (none of the same species). The noises tend to sound angry and not musical. The parrot sometimes bobs their head, very rarely though. They are quite aggressive/territorial towards parrots and scares away parrots more than twice their size - very social around humans.

Attachments

• 584E0A22-5D07-404E-80FD-328B897D136F.jpeg
    584E0A22-5D07-404E-80FD-328B897D136F.jpeg
    331.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 2AB74499-1CBA-4F8A-AFFA-19D6CD794A1C.jpeg
    2AB74499-1CBA-4F8A-AFFA-19D6CD794A1C.jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 3
With parrots, it can be really hard to tell the gender by just looking at them. You will most likely have to take him/her to a vet to get him/her vent sexed or however else they do it.

With parrots, it can be really hard to tell the gender by just looking at them. You will most likely have to take him/her to a vet to get him/her vent sexed or however else they do it.
Alright. I have someone who took a feather to take it to their lab. I’ll wait for that then, unless the person looses the feather.
Thank you for replying!

S/he is a very pretty bird! I'm not very familiar with this species so I don't have much insight on the behaviors. Head bobbing is either a sign of aggression or attention seeking, you just have to look for signs. Half raised wings and a slightly open beak would be aggressive, while curiously looking to the side, preening, or prodding you would be attention seeking. I know my budgies also bob their heads when they are feeding each other. And I think some birds are just more screechy sounding then others.

The safest method of sexing birds that are not sexually dimorphic would be using DNA. An avian vet can do this for you which costs an arm and a leg, or you could do it at home. There are several reputable companies that will ship you a kit. It's as easy as trimming a toenail a little too short, putting some blood on a card, and mailing it off with your payment. It is generally the most accurate. Feathers and even egg shells can be used, but I'm not as familiar with the feather method.

Back
Top Bottom