Sexing dayolds

welcome-byc.gif

Wow, they need to do some proofing on that page - there were so many typos I couldn't even get through all the information! Who knew there were so many ways to spell "Australorp"?

Some chicks can be sexed at hatch based on their coloration. Of the breeds that can't, almost any new chick can be sexed by checking the vent. This is a special skillset and while it may be possible to learn it by photographs, the best way to learn would have to be with an experienced vent sexer (IMO). Its not a skill I ever learned but if there is someone here who has learned how to do it, perhaps they'd be willing to share. I would be careful about trying it though as it is also possible to injure them by poking and squeezing too much in that sensitive area.

frow.gif
Hi and welcome to BYC! There are trained professionals who vent sex day old chicks at hatcheries as the poster above stated. Some chicks can be feathered sex, but I don't know if the chick your inquiring can be feather sexed looking at the feathers on the wings. Sometimes it takes a few weeks to determine sex by comb and wattle size/color. Good luck.

i heard somewhere that if you hold them by their neck skin that if the legs pull up its a girl and hang its a boy. i don't know about that though just a thought.
l034.gif
edited for wrong pic

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom