1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Sexing Domoniques

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by emsevers, Mar 25, 2009.

1. emsevers

emsevers Songster

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I was looking at pictures on feathersite of Dominique chicks and under one of the pictures it said that a pullet will have a prominent spot on it's head and a shadow on the legs and that the Cockerel will have a fuzzy head and no shadow on the legs. I was just wondering if anyone knew this to be true or is it a sometimes, maybe kind of thing. How reliable is the info on feathersite?

I also read a post a little while ago about the RIR's that have the black spot on their head were girls. I know not everyone thinks this works but I was wondering if anyone has had it work.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Sexing_Dominique_chicks.html

Both
    have spots on the head. Boys' are big and splotchy/irregular. Girls' are more defined and usually smaller. See the pics in the article. Usually, pullets have a good bit of dark down the leg fronts while boys have little to none. Boys' are lighter color overall. Same rules apply to Barred Rocks.

3. emsevers

emsevers Songster

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    Thanks so much for that link. That really helps. According to this it looks like I have more pullets than cockerels!! That would be a first. We'll see how it turns out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by