Sexing Domoniques

emsevers

Songster
11 Years
Nov 30, 2008
Carlton, OR
I was looking at pictures on feathersite of Dominique chicks and under one of the pictures it said that a pullet will have a prominent spot on it's head and a shadow on the legs and that the Cockerel will have a fuzzy head and no shadow on the legs. I was just wondering if anyone knew this to be true or is it a sometimes, maybe kind of thing. How reliable is the info on feathersite?

I also read a post a little while ago about the RIR's that have the black spot on their head were girls. I know not everyone thinks this works but I was wondering if anyone has had it work.

http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Sexing_Dominique_chicks.html

Both
have spots on the head. Boys' are big and splotchy/irregular. Girls' are more defined and usually smaller. See the pics in the article. Usually, pullets have a good bit of dark down the leg fronts while boys have little to none. Boys' are lighter color overall. Same rules apply to Barred Rocks.

Thanks so much for that link. That really helps. According to this it looks like I have more pullets than cockerels!! That would be a first. We'll see how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom