Sexing eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to sex a chicken when it is no more than a minute clump of cells?

I did a little research and it appears that the technology is available. However the poultry industry isn’t interested in buying it, because it is cheaper to hatch eggs on an industrial scale and just send the male chicks to the grinder.

Isn’t it time for legislative powers to be used to force hatcheries to adopt egg sexing technology. What do others think? Am I alone in thinking that we shouldn’t be culling a million chicks a day, when we don’t have to?

I heard about this technology. How early in the incubation process can they determine the sex though?
If they can sex the eggs and destroy the males very early wouldn't that save the companies a ton of money on incubating, I. E. They wouldn't have to incubate male eggs 21 days and could use the incubator space and energy to hatch female eggs at a faster rate.

I absolutely agree with you that there should be laws introduced to prevent all the male chicks being hatched and destroyed if it is unnecessary. It is a barbaric practice.

Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to sex a chicken when it is no more than a minute clump of cells?

I did a little research and it appears that the technology is available. However the poultry industry isn’t interested in buying it, because it is cheaper to hatch eggs on an industrial scale and just send the male chicks to the grinder.
I don't know if I'd say they aren't interested in buying it, per se, but moreso is it even available for sale yet? From what I've seen, the Germans are the ones that perfected it. They'd have to sell the eggs to a lower market than the table market, too I'm sure because from what I've read, a pinhole is drilled into the egg in order to do the sexing.

We also have to think about other impacts from no longer grinding male chicks. What do you think chicken by-product meal in dog and cat food is? If we eliminated it, pet food would be more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom