Sexing eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by afj6710, Jan 7, 2012.

1. afj6710

afj6710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
  2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Another interesting but useless bit of chicken lore. My great nephew-in-law is 4 yrs old and was willing to sell me a dozen rooster eggs for $35.00.

3. afj6710

afj6710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    LOL, I guess if I searched on here before I posted I wouldn't have been so proud of myself for finding that article! [​IMG] Sounds like the general consensus on here is that it's a bunch of [email protected], huh?

I am planning on incubating a bunch of our eggs soon, so I may try it out. [​IMG]

4. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I doubt it..But still when I hatched 5 eggs 4 of them were rounder than the 1 and those 4 were girls and the 1 was a boy...but i still doubt it [​IMG]

5. hddave2

hddave2 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2011
    harrodsburg ky.
    i was told this by an older farmer that i bought my 2 dozen rir/golden comet mix eggs...he told me he would hand pick the eggs for me so i would have 22 hens and 2 roos...im not sure myself about that but he told me thats how he's done it for years....guess i'll see huh....interesting though

6. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Wouldn't it be nice though....[​IMG]

7. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I wish, but I just don't believe it. I will try it next time I hatch though, what can it hurt. [​IMG]

8. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I have a bunch of eggs in 2 bators right now.. I'll check them when I candle at lockdown and mark the shells .. then keep track of them when they hatch

I'll let ya know how things turn out! [​IMG]

9. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I was told this by a guy a few weeks ago. If it was true, then the hatcheries wouldn't end up with so many extra roosters. Just my opinion, but I hope I get proven wrong. Because it would be awesome if it did turn out to be true.

10. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Ummmmm, no.

Of course you can identify who laid an egg by the color, but in my experience the same girl lays the same shape egg nearly everyday. That would mean individual chickens only lay one sex.

I've heard a lot of old wives' tales over the years on a variety of topics (I guess because I'm an old wife).

Deb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by