sexing mixed-breed chicks

Muffinburgler

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 8, 2012
Watsonville, CA
This forum is always the first place I go to when I have chicken questions :)

I have 30 mixed chicks that are 75% red jungle fowl and 25% Australorp, and I have a couple stopping by later today to buy some. The problem is they want hens, and I want to be able to pick them out girls as best as possible. The chicks are one week old today. Is it possible to sex them by visuals at all? Or should I just promise them a rooster return guarantee?

(I read that tail feathering is a good sign of a hen, as well as sprouting wing feathers early. Can those be reliable at all?)

go for the rooster return.. it can be difficult to sex them if your not extremely experienced. If the people know you will take the bird back it potentially saves it from a less ideal fate.

This might sound strange but the guy from the feed store where I purchased mine had a wierd way to sex them and he said he is 99% sure and have done it this way for years.
He would pick them up turn the around in his hand backwards and let them hang from their head between 2 fingers, if their legs just hang limp its a hen, if it fights and feet stay on your fingers it's a roo...
I hope I didn't get 12 roosters..lol

He said he working on a chicken farm for years and that's how they done it

i always tell bye the pin feathers on the wings if the two rows are even its a roo but if they are uneven they are hens but i do it with day or two old chicks idk about a week or two olds

Back
Top Bottom