Sexing partridge pattern chicks

I'm very curious, too. I'll keep updating. I have a feeling that the takeaway from this experiment would be to just forget about the feathers and use more old fashioned signs like combs and wattles for sexing :lol:
I hope for your sake it's a pullet! I will say though, Papa's Poultry is a bit pricey. I would definitely expect the birds they're selling to not be this far off from the variety they're supposed to be. Obviously they're labeled as incorporating other varieties, but this seems extreme if it's a pullet 😳

I hope for your sake it's a pullet! I will say though, Papa's Poultry is a bit pricey. I would definitely expect the birds they're selling to not be this far off from the variety they're supposed to be. Obviously they're labeled as incorporating other varieties, but this seems extreme if it's a pullet 😳
I'm torn about this. On one hand, I agree that they shouldn't be priced as high as birds that meet the standard, but on the other hand, he's always developing new varieties and working on project breeds, which require investment to actually develop... So he'd need the support. We're basically paying for him to continue being able to offer great variety. And it's not like I'll be showing these birds or am in any way serious about them meeting a standard. If I were, I wouldn't be getting them from him in the first place. So I'm not mad about it. It's just frustrating.

And then there's the other complication. 3 pullets would definitely make integration easier, because they'll have their own little sub-flock to keep each other company until they're fully accepted. But I really only intended to keep 1 or 2 females from this batch. 3 is stretching it a bit with my space. So I may still need to eat one of them when she gets big enough :( So, having 3 pullets instead of what I thought was 2 definitely has both its good and bad sides.

I read it in this article: https://backyardpoultry.iamcountrys...wild-type, or,have brown stripes and markings.

It said: There are many instances when a chick’s down color can be used as a method for how to tell the sex of baby chicks. For more than 100 years, and possibly more like a thousand years, poultrymen raising chickens with the wild-type color pattern (Black-Breasted Red, Light Brown, Silver Duckwing, etc.) have been able to tell the male chicks from the female chicks at hatch by down color. The males have clean heads with only two colors of dorsal stripes, which often end in a dot at the crown; females have three colors of dorsal stripes, a black or dark brown added outside the other two, and the strips typically run to and through the crown.

What do you think?

I read it in this article: https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/chickens-101/how-to-tell-the-sex-of-baby-chicks/#:~:text=Using a wild-type, or,have brown stripes and markings.

It said: There are many instances when a chick’s down color can be used as a method for how to tell the sex of baby chicks. For more than 100 years, and possibly more like a thousand years, poultrymen raising chickens with the wild-type color pattern (Black-Breasted Red, Light Brown, Silver Duckwing, etc.) have been able to tell the male chicks from the female chicks at hatch by down color. The males have clean heads with only two colors of dorsal stripes, which often end in a dot at the crown; females have three colors of dorsal stripes, a black or dark brown added outside the other two, and the strips typically run to and through the crown.

What do you think?
Oh wow! That is incredibly interesting. I had four cockerels and a pullet Silver Pencilled Rock and that method did work... I always wondered if there was a reason. My Partridge Brahmas didn't follow this though. Maybe certain lines?

I read it in this article: https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/chickens-101/how-to-tell-the-sex-of-baby-chicks/#:~:text=Using a wild-type, or,have brown stripes and markings.

What do you think?
I think that's probably true if you have purebred chickens. With mine, some didn't even have stripes at all at hatch :lol:

I'm torn about this. On one hand, I agree that they shouldn't be priced as high as birds that meet the standard, but on the other hand, he's always developing new varieties and working on project breeds, which require investment to actually develop... So he'd need the support. We're basically paying for him to continue being able to offer great variety. And it's not like I'll be showing these birds or am in any way serious about them meeting a standard. If I were, I wouldn't be getting them from him in the first place. So I'm not mad about it. It's just frustrating.

And then there's the other complication. 3 pullets would definitely make integration easier, because they'll have their own little sub-flock to keep each other company until they're fully accepted. But I really only intended to keep 1 or 2 females from this batch. 3 is stretching it a bit with my space. So I may still need to eat one of them when she gets big enough :( So, having 3 pullets instead of what I thought was 2 definitely has both its good and bad sides.
No one locally to you would want a free partridge Orpington pullet? The only partridge birds I’ve seen sold around here are silkies and cochins, and those aren’t even too common.

No one locally to you would want a free partridge Orpington pullet? The only partridge birds I’ve seen sold around here are silkies and cochins, and those aren’t even too common.
They might. But I like homegrown meat, too... 😳😄 With last year's batch, there was one chicken my kids got really attached to so we put some effort in and rehomed it, but the rest that were extra just got eaten. I'll try not to get too attached to all of these pullets. Part of why we're hatching chicks is for meat, and I want to do it every year for meat even if we don't end up keeping any for eggs/pets, so this is just going to happen...

Back
Top Bottom