Sexing peachicks

It's recommended not to let peachicks on dirt until at least a year old anyway. ;)
My Peafowl do not want me to hold them, sometimes I have to for their own health/safety.
If its not that important to know the genders then I wouldn't bother stressing them out.
If you will be wanting to breed them later and they are all females, males are usually easier to find to buy anyway.
Where are you located?
I'm all the way on the Southeast Europe.
I'm not looking to breed them as much as i want my little flock. That's why i would get a male for them to bond and grow up with if they are all girls. I have geese, ducks, chickens, quails, flemish giants and now also peafowl wich i didn't know much about until i got them. I got 4 but 1 died on the first night, i guess it was stress from traveling 2 hours in a car. I absorbed a lot of info from this site and few others.

If i shouldn't put them on the ground until they are yearlings, what would you say about putting them in the pen next to chickens before that? Would their immune system be strong enough for some potential bacteria or parasyte that chickens may carry?

I took a few more pictures today. I am now quite positive they are all females. Still time will tell. I won"t rush.

Attachments

• 20211026_113556.jpg
    20211026_113556.jpg
    698.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20211026_113420.jpg
    20211026_113420.jpg
    612.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211026_113016.jpg
    20211026_113016.jpg
    781.8 KB · Views: 6
Do not be afraid of getting lice or disease from your chickens if they are kept in separate pens, it is not likely to happen. We get our chicks on the ground as soon as possible usually within eight to ten weeks. We want them to acclimate to the weather as soon as possible. We do however use a regime of deworming and treating for cocci every four weeks to keep them healthy. Here are some of this years hatch hanging out with me.
1635279711771.png

Great picture. It should be a Christmas card.

Our one hen will nest and hatch one or two chicks in the bush. When they are about five days old and can follow her around she brings them out in the open for everyone to see. All the other birds are sort of deferential to her when she walks by and nobody makes a sound or sudden moves. It's sort of funny. But, if left on the ground with the hen the chicks never survive. I think it's a combination of poor nutrition and disease..

If we catch her chick(s) and put in an elevated pen with a light and gamebird starter, they do well. The hen will camp at the chick's pen 24/7 and they constantly talk to each other, When the chick is old enough fly up to a roost we let it loose. The chick follows the hen until the next spring and then they go their own way.

This year we hatched one of four shipped egg just to get more genetic diversity. We were hoping for another hen but it's a cock. The old hen has never paid any attention to him. Hopefully, he will eventually be her mate.

Keep them away from the chickens. Also be aware that you should never free range a bird that you aren't prepared to lose. Peafowl tend to wander a great deal and even birds that have stuck around for years can suddenly up and leave without warning.

I think of free ranging as a bribery scheme. If we feed them better than the neighbors then we'll be their home base. When peafowl leave it is almost always assosiated with mating. They can call each other from far away. If there is no mate avaiable then they will go find one.

Back
Top Bottom