Sexing please...Lavender Orps, Dominique, GLW and why so tiny?

sunrise.superman

Songster
Sep 24, 2018
Loveland, CO
Alrighty...I'm suposed to have 2 Lavender Orp pullets, 2 Dominique pullets and 2 Golden Laced Wyandottes "who knows" straight run. Grain of salt (or a pound) - they're from a Tractor Supply weak moment with a 5 yo boy that loves chooks, so... I love my GLW hen so we were willing to take the chance adding them to our flock. All are a month or so old give or take a few days. Wee tiny when I bought them August 7th.

The big Dom looks roo to me...and is bossy and pecks and charges you. If it's a pullet she's gonna have a good chance at being a beatch. The littlest one is supposed to be Dom, too but sooooo wee tiny. Got them all at the same time, same shipment (supposedly) at TSC.

The GLWs are about the same size as each other. Pinkish combs but hoping they could be pullets??

The Lavenders pullets?

The wee one worries me. He/she is so tiny compared to all of the others. Less than half the size. Feathering (though not as much) and eating and pooping just fine. No pasty butt. Not bullied, bellies up to the feeder just fine, crop full throughout the day and empty in the early a.m. Scrambles around and busy just like all the rest. Was a little more likely to be warming at the seedling mat mama hen cave I made...for the first week or so.

I've done Corid just in case, Poultry Cell in the water, Nutridrench for wee chick once or twice a week (hates it). Free feed Scratch n Peck organic no soy/no corn starter (20-21% protein). They're outside in a pen on grass w feed and water on sunny days (has been rainy here this week though) for the past 10 days or so. Anything else I can do for him/her?
GLW 2. Lav 2
20190909_185842.jpg 20190911_193031.jpg
20190909_185820.jpg
Lav 1

20190911_193037.jpg
Mr Roo?
20190911_193136.jpg
GLW 1
20190911_193153.jpg
WEE ONE - DOM

Halp? Any info would be appreciated on wee chick and roo-ness of any if possible. I have another Dominique but my cousin brooded her with her chicks that time, along with my GLW and others, so 1 month old was not in house then.

Last edited:
The cockerel in question is not a Dominique. It is a Barred Rock. Which is why it has a straight comb and is larger. In my experience, hatchery-bred Dominiques are much smaller than they should be, although that is just my experience. Others may have something different.

The Lavender Orpingtons appear to be pullets. The Golden-laced Wyandottes I'm not as sure on as they are a bit out of focus in the pictures they are in, but I'd guess pullets at this age. More clear photos would be needed to make a more concrete decision.

As for the smaller Dominque, does it have a rose comb? It is darker than the Barred Rock, which indicates it is a pullet. Two copies of the barring gene (that males have) cause them to be lighter than their female counterparts.

The cockerel in question is not a Dominique. It is a Barred Rock. Which is why it has a straight comb and is larger. In my experience, hatchery-bred Dominiques are much smaller than they should be, although that is just my experience. Others may have something different.

The Lavender Orpingtons appear to be pullets. The Golden-laced Wyandottes I'm not as sure on as they are a bit out of focus in the pictures they are in, but I'd guess pullets at this age. More clear photos would be needed to make a more concrete decision.

As for the smaller Dominque, does it have a rose comb? It is darker than the Barred Rock, which indicates it is a pullet. Two copies of the barring gene (that males have) cause them to be lighter than their female counterparts.
Agreed for the most part except that I zoomed in and can see the rose comb on the small one to confirm it is a Dom and Hatchery Doms do pop single combs due to poor breeding practices so I can't really say which the larger one is. The pattern does look to be a bit more cuckoo though so it could just be a hatchery quality Dom. Not sure why the one failing to thrive compared to the others, but I did have a barnevelder that was the runt of the flock for 5-6 weeks until all of a sudden he shot up and is now the biggest of the bunch.

Last edited:
Agreed for the most part except that I zoomed in and can see the rose comb on the small one to confirm it is a Dom and Hatchery Doms do pop single combs due to poor breeding practices so I can't really say which the larger one is. The pattern does look to be a bit more cuckoo though so it could just be a hatchery quality Dom. Not sure why the one failing to thrive compared to the others, but I did have a barnevelder that was the runt of the flock for 5-6 weeks until all of a sudden he shot up and is now the biggest of the bunch.

Thank you both for the feedback! Yeah...hoping the wee one will catch up since I can't see anything wrong otherwise.

Now to figure out if the Wyandottes are roos or not in time for the last livestock swap of the season on the 21st. These are the best I can get of these two at the moment. Busy little boogers. Can maybe get my son to hold them after work.
20190909_185810.jpg 20190909_185842.jpg

Thank you both for the feedback! Yeah...hoping the wee one will catch up since I can't see anything wrong otherwise.

Now to figure out if the Wyandottes are roos or not in time for the last livestock swap of the season on the 21st. These are the best I can get of these two at the moment. Busy little boogers. Can maybe get my son to hold them after work.
View attachment 1905948 View attachment 1905950
So far I'd say no, but I'd also say that's a very interesting pattern on the chest for a wyandotte

Back
Top Bottom