Sexing RIR, silkie chicks

Great pics, everyone! OMG You have beautiful chickens! Ok, so it took me a bit, but I got some pics. Hopefully you can tell what I have here.
big_smile.png

First off, these are my Black Dutch Bantams, Rico and Penny. (Rico is such a lover, hence the name. LOL)
IMG_0965.jpg

Now for my silkies. This one is who we've called Rosie, but I'm thinking we'll have to rename "her".
IMG_0964.jpg

Here is Petunia.
IMG_0973.jpg

And here are our baby RIRs. I *think* they are about 5 weeks old.
IMG_0953.jpg

One little thing I noticed is that Rico is starting to get his spurs. I picked up both Rosie and Petunia, and they both have small bumps there as well. Could they both be roosters?? Thanks for your help!!

Kresta

That first silkie is definately a cockerel. The second one may be as well, do you have a good pic of its comb?

Both males and females have spurs, they're just usually VERY small on the hens.

I think I'm the same at least for the first Silkie because of the little red waddle on both sides of his cheeks.

You beautiful chickens and so glad you posted them!
yippiechickie.gif

Well, what a good chick picker I am, huh. lol Three roosters and one hen. Nice. lol Oh well, they are still so much fun. I'll have to try and even up the score and get some more bantam hens. I'll go out and take better pics of their combs.

I'll also take better pics of the RIR chicks. Maybe some of them standing. Perhaps they are too young yet to really tell? These guys are absolutely identical so far. So, I'm fairly certain that they are either both hens or both roos.... let's hope they are hens otherwise we're really gonna be in trouble!! lol Thankfully, the 8 babies I'm to receive at the end of June will all be hens. but holy smokes, one brood with potentially 5 roos??? Is that bad??

Here are 2 close-ups of Petunia... IF she's actually a girl.....
IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

Last edited:
I'm beginning to really wonder now. I went out and picked Petunia up. Her wattles are the same size as the others, just tucked under more. Drats, I'm afraid I got 3 roosters and 1 bantam hen so far. Is that a bad thing? Should I try and find some more bantam hens to offset them a little? This does make sense though, as both of the silkies have stood up to Rico when he would confront them, almost as if to challenge him. Penny has always just sunk down and avoided any conflict.

On the RIRs, how can you tell male or female? Which one is which?

Back
Top Bottom