Sexing Silkies

Jul 13, 2021
Hello! I am new to Silkies, and I know they are very difficult to sex at a young age, but I am curious to see what you all think! I have two 9 week old Silkies (a white and a partridge) that I keep going back and forth on. I currently think that the white is a cockerel, based on the comb and wattles that started appearing over the past week. I am very undecided on the partridge. I know that you should be able to tell based on the color pattern, but I have not seen enough partridges to know what I am looking at. Both are extremely docile and neither show any rooster behaviors yet. I also have an 8 week old bantam buff Silkie, but I am pretty positive he is an obvious cockerel with the giant single comb and wattles. Lol! I still included his pic for fun! Let me know what you all think! :D

Attachments

• IMG-2400.jpg
    IMG-2400.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-2333 (2).jpg
    IMG-2333 (2).jpg
    706.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-2396 (2).jpg
    IMG-2396 (2).jpg
    749.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-2408.jpg
    IMG-2408.jpg
    760.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-2314 (2).jpg
    IMG-2314 (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG-2394.jpg
    IMG-2394.jpg
    855.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-2373 (2).jpg
    IMG-2373 (2).jpg
    680.7 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for the tag, @Silviaschicks!

The buff is a rooster for sure. He does have a single comb of a sort so we can expect it to be bigger, but still looks like a boy.

I think the partridge has female coloring, but I don't have enough experience with partridge to be certain.

I'm not going to make a guess I'm the white yet. She could be either at this point.

An update in a month or so would be great! I'll watch this thread.

Thanks, all! I will definitely post more pics and update in a month or so. I thought the white was a pullet for sure a week ago, but that one just keeps changing. Now I have convinced myself I see roo. I guess we'll see! Lol! I live in the country, so roosters aren't a problem. However, I was still hoping for just one, because my flock is small. I have 9 total (the 3 Silkies, 3 Easter Eggers, 2 Swedish Flower Hens and 1 Welsummer). Worst case, if the white is a roo, I can use it as an excuse to expand and get more hens. LOL!

Thanks, all! I will definitely post more pics and update in a month or so. I thought the white was a pullet for sure a week ago, but that one just keeps changing. Now I have convinced myself I see roo. I guess we'll see! Lol! I live in the country, so roosters aren't a problem. However, I was still hoping for just one, because my flock is small. I have 9 total (the 3 Silkies, 3 Easter Eggers, 2 Swedish Flower Hens and 1 Welsummer). Worst case, if the white is a roo, I can use it as an excuse to expand and get more hens. LOL!
Better hope Little White is a rooster than...the more the merrier!

Back
Top Bottom