Sexing Speckled Sussex

purplequeenvt

Songster
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
Charlotte, VT
I had only 1 surviving chick out of my hatch earlier this week. The other died yesterday afternoon. I don't know what was wrong, but they weren't ever as lively as chick #1. As a result, #1 was extremely lonely and had to ride around tucked under someones jacket all day. *Her* mother is a buff EE and her father is most likely a Speckled Sussex, but could be a Sumatra, a Sultan, or a d'Uccle.

So.....because I now had a very emotional chick on my hands - she would cry (read scream!) if we put her back in the brooder all by herself - I *had* to get her some new friends.
roll.png
I had heard a rumor that TSC had Speckled Sussex chicks (my favorite) so I swung by on my way home from the grocery store.

Sure enough, they had a whole tub full of straight run SS chicks! I ran into a friend (also drooling over the SS) and we spent forever trying to decide which were hens and which were roos.

There were lighter chicks and darker chicks, ones with longer wing feathers and ones with shorter feathers....We couldn't decide, so we each just picked 6.

Does anyone know if there actually is a way to sex them?

Speckled Sussex are not sex-linked by colour alone. If I had to pick them at this age, I would know there would be a 50/50 chance of having a roo. You might be able to sex them by feather growth, but I could be mistaken.

Thanks! We were pretty sure they weren't sex-linked, but we were wondering about the feathers.

I don't really care if I get a bunch of roosters. Of course I'd rather have girls, but I can deal with roosters.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom