Sexing? what age?

lukewride

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
England
hello..

i have a 2 and a half week old silver laced wyandotte chick and i'm desporate to find out whether its a he or a she..

is there anyway i can tell? is there anything physically i should look out for?

or do i need to wait until he/she's matured a little bit more?

Quote:
The roo will wind up with a big red comb & wattles. Theirs show red sooner. I have a different type of Wyandotte. They're 6-7 weeks old on my BYC page. Notice their combs aren't really red. They're all girls. Here are some things that may help you.

- Pullets usually get their wing and tail feathers before cockerels (in the first week or so).
- At around 5 to 6 weeks, sometimes sooner, you will see definate comb development on the cockerels in most breeds (it will start to redden, whilst the pullets will still be yellowy).
- At 2-3 months you will see the hackle feathers developing on the males. They will start to get longer and will be more pointed.
- Cockerels are usually braver - if you walk into your henhouse and accidentally sneeze, the pullets should be the ones that scattered!
- Cockerels have more pointed feather tips.
- Cockerels are usually bigger by a few weeks old.
- Pullets tend to have a smaller, round head, compared to the cockerels larger more angular one.

- Cockerels usually have longer thicker legs (look for spur development).

Back
Top Bottom