1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing? what age?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lukewride, Apr 30, 2009.

1. lukewride

lukewride Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    England
    hello..

i have a 2 and a half week old silver laced wyandotte chick and i'm desporate to find out whether its a he or a she..

is there anyway i can tell? is there anything physically i should look out for?

or do i need to wait until he/she's matured a little bit more?

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Its still a little earl;y. The first thing usually is the comb starts to pink up real early.

3. lukewride

lukewride Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    England
    what d'u mean?
    if it pinks up its a boy or a girl??

sorry, i'm pretty new to this..

4. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    Quote:The roo will wind up with a big red comb & wattles. Theirs show red sooner. I have a different type of Wyandotte. They're 6-7 weeks old on my BYC page. Notice their combs aren't really red. They're all girls. Here are some things that may help you.

- Pullets usually get their wing and tail feathers before cockerels (in the first week or so).
    - At around 5 to 6 weeks, sometimes sooner, you will see definate comb development on the cockerels in most breeds (it will start to redden, whilst the pullets will still be yellowy).
    - At 2-3 months you will see the hackle feathers developing on the males. They will start to get longer and will be more pointed.
    - Cockerels are usually braver - if you walk into your henhouse and accidentally sneeze, the pullets should be the ones that scattered!
    - Cockerels have more pointed feather tips.
    - Cockerels are usually bigger by a few weeks old.
    - Pullets tend to have a smaller, round head, compared to the cockerels larger more angular one.

- Cockerels usually have longer thicker legs (look for spur development).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by