Sexing Wyandottes?

Harvest Mint

Songster
6 Years
Nov 16, 2016
Kingston, Tennessee
So I got 8 silver laced wyandottes, 2 are supposed to be cockerels and the rest pullets. My only problem is I don't know which is which. To me they all look the same. I can pick a few individuals out but not enough to tell what gender. They are about 7weeks old now. Do I just need to wait a little longer?

Got any pictures of them?
smile.png
Pullets will tend to have nice, even lacing, while cockerels are more "patchy."

~Alex

So from what Alexandra33 said I think I got my boys picked out. They also have the most developed combs so far.

They seem to have almost a saddle look compared to the others.

welcome-byc.gif

IN the first pic, the two birds on the left hand side are both cockerels.

I can't see the others well enough to say they're pullets for sure.

Hi fellows !!
I hv got some chicks by the name of Silver Laced Wyndotte..
But here in forum
I saw that peoples showing Wyndottes chicks pix r different from mine
Kindly figure me out ..

[/IMG]

So from what Alexandra33 said I think I got my boys picked out.
Silver males and females have completely different coloring as adults. The males will have patches of white on shoulders when growing out. Once you get use to looking for it you'll be able to sex them at a earlier age than this.

Hi fellows !!
I hv got some chicks by the name of Silver Laced Wyndotte..
But here in forum
I saw that peoples showing Wyndottes chicks pix r different from mine
Kindly figure me out ..

[/URL]

They look like Wyandotte to me. They are currently in that awkward stage of development.Another week and the feather will be in more evenly.

There are supposed to only be two cockerels cause that is what was ordered. Although I know sexing day old chicks is not a 100% accurate practice. They were ordered from McMurray. I don't know how good they are but I have heard good things. My sister did the ordering.

Back
Top Bottom