Sexing your Silkies (PICTURES AND TIPS - Updated July-5-12)

Pics

Hi. I'm very new to chickens and this is my first post, I always want to have a silkie and my husband always want to have some chickens. We finally got some(one australorp, one isa brown and one white silkie) from his dad's friend who breed chickens, he said they are about 15 weeks old and he gave them to us. But from I read on here make me wonder if she could turn to be a boy? Could you please help
me what do you think? Thank you so much
1f64f.png

Hi. I'm very new to chickens and this is my first post, I always want to have a silkie and my husband always want to have some chickens. We finally got some(one australorp, one isa brown and one white silkie) from his dad's friend who breed chickens, he said they are about 15 weeks old and he gave them to us. But from I read on here make me wonder if she could turn to be a boy? Could you please help me what do you think? Thank you so much
1f64f.png
Welcome! That looks like a very pretty pullet to me. :)

Hi. I'm very new to chickens and this is my first post, I always want to have a silkie and my husband always want to have some chickens. We finally got some(one australorp, one isa brown and one white silkie) from his dad's friend who breed chickens, he said they are about 15 weeks old and he gave them to us. But from I read on here make me wonder if she could turn to be a boy? Could you please help
me what do you think? Thank you so much
1f64f.png

Yes, looks like a girl but she looks older then 15 weeks to me! :)

Yes, looks like a girl but she looks older then 15 weeks to me! :)

Thanks a lot, I was thinking about that as well because she just picked up another 18 weeks old silkie and she looks younger than my white silkie, not sure how to check how old she is now.

I have a silkie around the age of three weeks. The farmer I purchased her from said the roosters were bigger than the hens. Is this true or false? Thanks for the help!

The roosters are bigger than the hens, for the most part, when they are fully grown. As chicks, not really, male and female chicks hatch the same size and pretty much stay the same size until the male growth spurt hits. A male could be a small chick, there's really no size correlation at hatch that I've noticed. Your little one is still a bit young to accurately sex.

Can anyone guess boys or girls for our 3 silkies that are about 7 weeks old? The blue is substantially bigger and has bigger legs, I would be shocked if he turned into a hen. The lavender and black I'm really hoping are hens, but I just don't know. I'm leaning towards pullet for the lavender since she has petite legs and more of a hen shape. We raised 4 last year and only got one hen, ugh. Two were obviously boys with that bunch but one cute little hen with the perfect puff on 'her' head ended up crowing. We are hoping for 1 boy and 2 girls to add to the hen we already have.

Just wanted to update, the top one was a fiesty cockerel and the other two, Bluebelle and Snowbelle are very sweet girls that lay an egg almost every day. They really kept me guessing for a long while!

Back
Top Bottom