Sexing your Silkies (PICTURES AND TIPS - Updated July-5-12)

Pics
Your welcome! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I do recommend expediting the shipping of the samples to the lab. This way it gets to the lab much faster!once the sample arrives at the lab it only takes about two days to get results. I didn't expedite my shipping and that took the longest. If you expedite you won't have to wait very long for your results. If you don't expedite the shipping it takes about a week for the samples to arrive. So I highly recommend making the shipping method faster by rushing the samples.also when you pluck your sample make sure the white part or the quick of the feather is present and don't touch the quick. You don't want to foul the sample.its really a easy process. I now test all my new silkie babies.its really a excellent way to find out the sex. No more waiting months to determine the sex. When I purchase from breeders I ask that they test the prospective babies and I teach them how and pay the fee for testing. Those that are male I don't purchase. Most breeders don't mind doing this for me as they benefit as well knowing who is male then they can just sell the males as straight run. This way I don't end up with a unwanted rooster.i can't have roos where I live so it works out perfectly. I started testing a few years ago after I ended up getting several roosters I had to re home. It was not easy to find them homes and it's much easier to just test them now. I hope this is helpful and wish you the best.
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f424.png
1f424.png
1f424.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f414.png
1f414.png

Thoughts on sex? They are 6 weeks. (left) Black silkie is very shy, hides behind the others or stays off in a corner. middle bird is a frizzle sizzle and pleasant. (right) is the head honcho, some guessed a roo but has short neck feathers but does have waddles starting. No spur indication on silkie, spurs starting on the other 2, silkie cochin cross.

They are pretty young yet but my guess is the first is pullet second is roo and third looks rooish. That's my guesses. As I said They are very young so their appearance will change drastically . This is just a guess. What ever sex they are they sure are cute! Best wishes

Hi, I am new with silkies and today I have noticed that my white silkie pair have sort of a little flies on them, and in the feathers there are lots of what it seen to be eggs. What should I do!!! I'm worried!!! Thanks in advance!

This is Fredo at 11 weeks. He crows, but it's lovely. He's darling. He lives with the other 2 in our kitchen, but we did get a coop to build in the back hall where they will be more "free" on warm days. He is very spoiled and loves linguini (without the clam sauce).

Chicken, it sounds like your birds may have some kind of louse (lice) but I'm new too and all of our birds have lived inside since they hatched, 11 weeks ago. Perhaps google lice on chickens and treatments. I've read that some use something like RID, but whatever you use, read the directions carefully. RID only kills active lice and has to be reapplied in 1 or 2 weeks, I think. Make sure whatever it is is safe for the chickens, and if it's for a different species, dose it correctly.

This is Fredo at 11 weeks. He crows, but it's lovely. He's darling. He lives with the other 2 in our kitchen, but we did get a coop to build in the back hall where they will be more "free" on warm days. He is very spoiled and loves linguini (without the clam sauce). Chicken, it sounds like your birds may have some kind of louse (lice) but I'm new too and all of our birds have lived inside since they hatched, 11 weeks ago. Perhaps google lice on chickens and treatments. I've read that some use something like RID, but whatever you use, read the directions carefully. RID only kills active lice and has to be reapplied in 1 or 2 weeks, I think. Make sure whatever it is is safe for the chickens, and if it's for a different species, dose it correctly.
Awe!!! He's a cute little thing? What is he crossed with... an EE?

Back
Top Bottom