Sexing your Silkies (PICTURES AND TIPS - Updated July-5-12)

Pics
I have 4 and a half week old silkie chicks. Was wondering if anybody could help me tell the gender

Chick one:

Chick two:

I have 4 silkie chicks a few days shy of 10 weeks old - only 1 has developed waddles and I'm wondering if this is a pretty sure sign of a roo or if you think there may still be hope. 3 of the 4 actually have more mohawk type crests rather than a round puff but these are hatchery birds (one doesn't even have any feathers on its legs). Let me know what you see :)
A: B: C:
D: E:

Good to know!

My cockerel (BR) has started mating only one of my older BR girls. He tries with the younger ones, but they are so not willing. What's really strange is that since he has started mating her (last weekend was the first time) she started to lay eggs again for the first time in months! What is up with that?! I thought someone new started to lay because my BR is very unreliable. I don't add light to their coop, so they only get about 7-8 hours of light a day. All of a sudden we are getting eggs again. I can't complain, but what is your theory on that? I didn't know a rooster mating could encourage a hen to lay.. Am I totally off bounds on saying that? I can tell you my hen was VERY excited when the deed was done. I have never witnessed such a shake in my life!
gig.gif

My poodle is now TERRIFIED of the chickens. I have to keep her away from them. I don't want her to attack them out of fear. There was never any issues before this pullet pecked her. She got the dog pretty good too. I don't see many posts about dog attacked by chicken. Only vice versa.
My young Marans cockerel got a wild feather and attacked my dog out of the blue a while back. My dog had him pinned with his butt in his mouth in two seconds. We called him off, but not before that roo lost his lovely tail. He went from alpha roo to beta - just that fast! And it has held for for over a week. He now runs and hides when the dog comes outside with me. That was the best outcome I could hope for, since he's gonna be huge and I'm not getting rid of the dog
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom